1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Job for a 14 yr old

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by X_Gamer7, Sep 21, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

I really want to make some money, so that i can get comcast internet. I would have to make around $50 dollars a month to get it. Do you guys have any suggestions on jobs for a 14 yr old? Anything would be greatly appreciated.:D
    Thnx,
    X_Gamer7

2. McTimson

McTimson

Eh....not really much you can do when you're 14...you can try getting a job as a newspaper deliverer thing, and I think that that's pretty much all you can do, depending on what state you live in...like here in NY, you can't work in a retail store until you're 16 or something. You might also want to try doing little jobs in your neighborhood, like mowing lawns, raking leaves, shoveling driveways, things like that.

3. gws226

gws226

I used to deliver the papers when I was age... I was the last of paperboys... replaced by trucks that would throw your paper in the driveway at 5am....

My suggestion... Steal from your friends and sell on ebay! ;)
    j/k....

I would suggest trying to ask your parents for additional chores around the house... about $50 worth of extra work a month should do the trick for ya...

Good luck!:D

4. websurfer

websurfer

I'm 14... and getting offers for web page design for local companies... sharpen up some of those computer skills and start hitting all those little shops asking to see fi they need any type of help ;)

5. KeithKman

KeithKman

I agree 100%! :D

6. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I started this site when I was 15. :) Granted, it isn't making money (and was never meant to), but you sure can do a lot online, where no one knows your age...

7. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

To the point... there isn't any real employment opportunity at that age beyond "free-lancing" (IE, computer stuff as already mentioned), neighborhood stuff (IE, mowing lawns), or chores around the house.

However, the earlier (age-wise) employment opportunity you could get, is McDonalds (there may be a few others). McDonalds will hire people of like age 15 and a half and up.

At the moment, you really don't have much of a choice beyond what is mentioned above (IE, mowing, chores).

8. khaki

khaki

I pay my neighbor kid to cut my lawn.... rake my leaves... shovel my driveway... and clean-out my gutters.

He has year-round work... and a fairly regular income (especially when it snows a lot or the grass grows really fast).

Plus (as an added benefit)... he protects my house from the mischevious egg and toilet-paper hooligans during Halloween :)

There are lots of people who would rather pay someone to do that kind of stuff for them, than to do it themselves....
    so just try to find those people and you'll be all set

And for the record:

Cut lawn $20
    Shovel Driveway $20
    Rake leaves $30
    Clean-out gutters $30

good luck :)

9. KeithKman

KeithKman

WOW :eek: can I cut your law?

10. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

lol... I'm one of those people.

A kid down the street does my yard. But since we don't have snow or anything here, it really ends there.

Is $20 a lot for that kind of stuff? That's how much I pay the kid who does mine. I thought that was pretty normal, lol... Are you getting less on one of your jobs? ;)

11. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Sorry to burst your bubble...but in Cali (if you live there) McDonald's and other fast food/restaurant places aren't allowed to hire you until you're 15, and have this form thingy signed by your school that you're doing good and getting good grades. Or else I'd of been working from the age of 12 (oh wait! I have! Doh!!!). There are always the illegal routes... i.e. friends who own buisnesses et cetera, et cetera...;) Good luck! :D

12. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Oh, 4H/FFA (FFA is the Public High School run equivelant with added programs, such as agricultural mechanics) is always a very lucrative option too. I made $12,000 dollars in nine months, ($10,000 after titheing it...) Usually though you can make about $2,000 dollars for selling a steer though. Be prepared for a year of shoveling sh!t though! ;)

13. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

McDonald's here in Michigan hires at age 14. You can work 17 hours a week with a work permit from school and only during certain hours.

Try a pet food store...around here they hire 14 year olds to clean out the cages of the birds, gerbils and other critters! :) Also here they hire 14 year olds through the school district to work maintainance during the summer months. When I was 14 my Dad "hired" me to help stuff envelopes for his insurance job before he became a cop....they wouldn't let me do anything for him on that job! :D

My son who is 14 made good money this past winter doing snow shoveling. You might consider that and try to ask the neighbors now before the snow flies!

One word of caution...if you plan to ask about odd jobs around the neighborhood, please know the people you are asking! Stay safe! There are weirdos out there who prey on kids....even at your age!

Good luck on your job hunting endeavor! :) Take care. angel :)

14. KeithKman

KeithKman

I don't cut lawns, but I didn't realize how much money you can make cutting someones lawn.

I help a guy named Edward with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) do his exercises. I get paid double...$10 an hour and helping a life, so I am happy! :D

15. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Keith: (y) So good to hear of a young man helping others! As a nurse I am quite familiar with ALS....it is a devastating disease! Edward is probably glad to just have your company too! :) What a nice thing you are doing! :) Take care. angel

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice