1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

John O

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by John O, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John O

John O Thread Starter

Help! Please! I have Windows XP. I downloaded some programs in the last two weeks from the Internet that I later deleted. Now I am getting this ANNOYING message when I use Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer Script Error
    Line: 12
    Char: 1
    Error: Object Expected
    Code: O
    URL: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\xxxxxxx.html
    Do You Wish to Continue Writing Scripts?

It's always the same message in the same location but with a different html.

Help!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What do you mean by you "deleted"? Did you uninstall them properly or did you just delete their folders?

What were the names of these programs?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Open the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp folder, then delete EVERYTHING from inside the Temp folder.

3. John O

John O Thread Starter

The programs one or two off of ZDNET that I later decided I didn't want... Like Adaware. I did use the Uninstall program to remove them completely.. Thanks for your tip, I'll try emptying the Temp folder.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're talking about Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06, you should make use of it, and you should also make use of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. Both of these spyware detection-and-removal programs work very well together, and one will find what the other one won't, and vice versa.

They need to be kept up-to-date just like an antivirus program, and they need to be run on a regular basis so spyware and other "nasties" can be kept at bay.

5. John O

John O Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. I will empty the Local Settings/Temp folder now. Please check back here later and I'll let you know if it worked!!!

John

6. John O

John O Thread Starter

Nope!!! Didn't work! Although I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable I don't go where I don't know. I can tell you this:

I am not familiar with scripts etc. but I am thinking that something in the internet tools/options/advanced needs to be checked/unchecked.

Or perhaps I need to click to reset to system defaults. It's always the same message and location, just with a different html file number. I might add that the previous days entries dissappear and they are always with the current date!

Thanks!

7. bonk

bonk Banned

I think you still have a program not uninstalled properly but for internet defaults open explorer>top menu tools>internet options>Advanced>click Restore defaults tab

8. John O

John O Thread Starter

Well, I was away from the PC for a day but I am still getting the same script error message. I have tried deleting the temp folder, and setting sytems defaults. What if I uninstall Internet exploer 6.0 and re-download it. I guess I'll lose my favorites unless I copy them to CD first. I would like to say that I do not get the message when I use Netscape! I just never cared for the layout on Netscape. Thanks!

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You mentioned at the beginning of your thread that you're using Windows XP, but you didn't clarify whether you're using the original version, the SP1 version, or the SP2 version.

If you haven't upgraded yet to SP2, do so. It'll upgrade Internet Explorer to 6.0 SP2.

10. John O

John O Thread Starter

It's still going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have IE6 with SP2 installed!!!

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried either of these things?

1 Do a repair of IE

2 Do a system restore to a date before you installed these apps?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice