1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

johnwill/terrynet 'splain this to me please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bearone2, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bearone2

bearone2 Banned Thread Starter

my son upgraded to a new dell xp notebook/1520 and gave me the older dell 8500/2.5.

it has o/b wireles b/g wlan 1300.

in the same room as the linksys 54g router/"g" only, it connects about 1100 kbps but yesterday, out in the living room, way away from the router, it downloaded from the same test site/pitstop at 4500+ kbps.

probably just magic, right?:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe magic; but are you sure that connection is not 11Mbps = 11,000kbps? :)

3. bearone2

here's the link from this desktop which is hardwired. it didn't show the #'s but was 4900

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bw.asp

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was questioning "in the same room as the linksys 54g router/"g" only, it connects about 1100 kbps."

Was that 1100 from pcpitstop or the nominal wireless connection? If that was from pcpitstop then I don't know why. Your ISP may have been experiencing problems, or you may have had some wireless interference that was gone later.

5. bearone2

that's why it was goofy, all were from pitstop, in the room with the router and faster at the other end of the ranch style house.

thanks. it must be magic.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, I initially misunderstood. That is goofy or magic. Or maybe just a one time thing.

7. bearone2

i'll watch it and let you know. thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice