join 03 server domain w/o losing settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

daybo

I am running a windows server 2003 domain and was wondering if anyone knew of a proven way to join a users to the domain and keep there current profile?
Thanks

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Copy the local profile up to the server. I know there is KB article on Microsofts website on how to do this.

daybo

yes but i cannot copy, rename, or move ntuser.dat. i was unsuccessful my attempts at finding a ms kb article
thanks again

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Go into System Properties and use the User Profiles tab to copy the user profile up to the server and set the appropriate permissions. Don't try to do it thru Windows Explorer.

Just join it. Yuor local profile will not be overwritten. If they are using roaming profiles your local one will be copied to the server.

You can always run the USMT tool. Thats what its there for. The local will not be overwritten but you won't have your old settings... using USMT you run it first on the PC while its not on the network have them log in and run it one more time while on the network and their settings will migrate.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online