Join Domain by Vlan dynamicaly possible?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cloud09

Hi, Our networking guru is currently off and I have a small question which i cant find an answer to, ill try and provide as much info as possible but you may need to know somthing ive left out.

We have 2 networks, both networks are on the same lan, but different Vlans.

One vlan has users logging onto one domain, whereas the other vlan logs on the other network.

Users can only log onto 1 Vlan / network they are not registered as users on both. the admin accounts have different pws on both domains.

The IP address/vlan of each machine is set by which port they are plugging into.

I can however disconnect from domain1, change the vlan settings over in the switch, then connect back up to domain2 and the domain2 users can log in fine.

The problem we now have is there are some machines which for 3 days will be on domain1, and the other days will be on domain2

network points are plentyful, so i could assign 1 network point to be vlan1 with access to domain1, and the other network point next it to be on vlan2 and have access to domain2

then just plug into the correct domain, restart, disconnect it from the one it shouldnt be on,restart, and reconnect it to the one it should, restart.

But i cant think of a way of getting windows to join domain.1 if it gets ip address X

but then join domain.2 if ip address = Y

(this way they just shut down the machine, and plug into the different network, then turn back on to switch domains)

as the process of leaving and joining a domain takes 15minutes or so and requires a technician to do it, this on 50 machines twice a week would prove a nightmare.

Any suggestions?

But i cant think of a way of getting windows to join domain.1 if it gets ip address X

but then join domain.2 if ip address = Y
That is because you can't do this. Why aren't you just setting up some kind of trust between domains so the users can log into either domain and get the resources they need from the alternate domain?

Cloud09

I presumed they were kept separate because normally there is nothing whatsoever on one network which needs to be accessed from the other.

the issue is we have 2 separate groups of people logging onto the same machines

they each log onto their own domain. weirdly once they have had both domains added they do get a drop down box to choose what domain to log onto but XP seems to want to lock a pc onto one domain at a time, and switching them takes around 15minutes.

If under computer name it says its locked to domain1 for example, any users trying to log on under domain2 get part the way through logging on before it says "cannot connect to domain" and it chucks them off...

So when a user from domain2 comes along we have to send an admin down to log in locally, disconnect from domain to workgroup, reboot, then connect to the correct domain, then reboot again, then they can log in fine.

but then later on somebody wants to use that pc on domain1, so we have to send somebody down again to bugger around for 15minutes to switch domains.

Setting up 2 way trusts will get rid of your having to deal with that. The OS has no native way to "jump" from one domain to another. There may be some 3rd party solution but I have never seen such a beast.

I can't even comprehend trying to support a workstation, much less a group of people, that are on 2 domains like you are proposing. Like previously stated Windows can only be a member of 1 domain and the only way to change is to disjoin, reboot, join, reboot. Setup the trust, you will thank us in the long run.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online