1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Joined BT for internet a few weeks ago and it has gone really slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jordan2301, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jordan2301

jordan2301 Thread Starter

hey, i joined BT 22 days ago, and when i first changed they were really really fast, and i had speeds of about 14mb.
    but within the last 10 days i have gone down to 5.5mb speed.
    they said that the speed would fluctuate for the first 2-4 weeks, but 4 weeks seems like a long time.
    do you think guys think it will be fine after a few days?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Assuming dsl here.It it not unusual for the modem to require a"settle in" period.
    Having said that.2-4 weeks seems a bit excessive to me.
    I would re-check your speed,and if 14mb is the bandwidth you are paying for and you are still getting in the 5mb range,I would start badgering their tech support people.
    While you are waiting,I might go to your pc makers web site and see if any more current network drivers might be available for your model

Also,is this a wired or wireless connection.Same speed on both ?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    rule of thumb, if your speed is less than 80% of the max, then it's possibly a signal issue or too many people on in the same area

4. jordan2301

jordan2301 Thread Starter

hey,
    well im supposed to be getting 20mb speeds, it has gone up to 6.2mb this morning, but that is still unacceptable.
    thanks for the suggestions

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    periodically do a speed test (like 3 every hour or so) and track your speed. If it never gets up then it's on their end. If it flucuates between top speed in non-peak hours (when people should be in work/school/bed) and low speeds in peak hours, then they are way oversold and too many people are on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice