1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Joining 2 Cable Modems for Double the Speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by samular, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samular

samular Thread Starter

Hi Everyone

Ok now i've heard of people doing this but i cant get a clear answer on how to acually do it so im hoping you might be able to help me.

I currently have Telstra Cable Internet here in australia and it allows 10mb downstream and 128kb upstream, so obviously the downstream isnt an issue but between me and my housemate we really clog up our network so i was hoping to be able to hook another cable modem up to the network and do Load Balancing somehow to share it all together.

I have the cable modem going into a NetGear Router which is a 4-port and 2 of the other spots then go to my comp and my housemates comp.

Is it possible to get another modem and do the exact same thing as the existing one or is it not as simple as that, im just thinking about acually logging onto the network and maybe having IP issues or something.... any ideas ?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't believe you can do this with cable---only dialup. But multilinking connections requires a new account for each connection, anyway, so it would be just as cheap to each have your own account and connection.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Sure, use a Dual WAN router like the ones reviewed here...http://www.amdpower.com

Sure, but that will be between you and your provider. They will probably
    want a separate account and $ for the additional modem and feed. All do-able. Good luck.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you are paying for two cable connections, there will be no conflicts with the modems. I've had two cable modems connected to the same cable and both working here.

5. samular

samular Thread Starter

Alright, thank you for your help ill look into all of this and see how i go...

But another question... is there software that can do the same thing as a DUAL WAN if i had say... 2 network cards in my PC??

6. JohnWill

With a single cable account, you'll get the bandwidth of a single cable account. There is no software to fix that. :)

7. samular

samular Thread Starter

Hi Johnwill

That is what it might seem like... but only to the untrained eye.... :p

I have however found a way, im not sure of the cable infrastructure in the country from where your from, but in Australia the cable we have access to has 4 different frequencies in which the Internet runs on, each with a very debating cap but ive been told around 50mbps, now the only way that the provider can manage this is by capping the Modem speed itself, so what happens is.. everytime i log onto the network it checks the software with my modems and if its different then it will either not let me on or re-upload it to the modem. Hence i cannot just simly change the capping software on the modem itself.

So... what i've done, i got 2 modems, a splitter for the connection and then 2 Intel NIC's(One Server card, best for load balancing) i have 2 different log in programs of which i setup with just a single modem plugged in( i swapped them around) then when i had the sofware setup i plugged both modems into the 2 network cards at the same time logged onto each peice of software (using my main account and a sub user account (only an extra $1 per month)) then i ran the 'Load Balancing' software which came with the Intel server Card and now i have 2x 10mbps/128kbps connection in one, the download difference is DEFINATLY there as im reaching over 2megabtye per second download speed... how ever i dont find the upstream to be much different, im going to play with some more settings and see how i go..

But good news, its definatly possible in australia !

8. JohnWill

Well, there's a couple of points. First off, that doesn't happen here in the states, I guess the ISP's have gotten smarter about service theft.

Speaking of service theft, we don't discuss illegal activities here, nor help with them.

9. $teve

$teve

Thread closed.......subject has now breached forum rules.

==========================================

Edit:In Australia,the above is perfectly legal and I was wrong to close the thread.If anyone has any help for the poster feel free to submit.

;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice