1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Joining two routers 60 feet apart for better WiFi coverage

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Current Setup: There are two routers at opposite ends of a building about 60 feet apart currently joined by CAT5 cable. Currently, the SSIDs are R1 for router #1 and R2 for router #2. When I'm at one end of the building, I connect to R1 and the other end I connect to R2.

Question: Is it possible to eliminate the R2 SSID and have both routers operate as R1? I guess what I'm wanting is for the second router to work as an extension of the first router.

If so, where can I get information on how to do this?

I hope the meaning of my question isn't confusing.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Yes, you can do that. First, you need to make sure the two routers are connected to each other correctly. You don't mention exactly how your two are connected. JohnWill, a retired mod, has a very good set of instructions on how to do join them and configure each one. (https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...ction-into-second-router.957822/#post-7651668).

Beyond that, make sure the wireless access points in each router are on different channels, with a preferred separation of at least three channel numbers. Then assign the same SSID and WiFi password to both.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Thanks for that link but there is something happening I don't understand. In LAN TCP/IP Setup, I set IP address to 192.168.1.25 (outside the of range of DHCP on primary router) and subnet to 255.255.255.0 (same as primary)

When I disable the DHCP server in the secondary router, I am then unable to log in to the secondary router. (I am using a wired connection to set up the secondary router.) I get a page that says words to the effect that the page does not exist.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I don't know why that is happening. With both routers connected to each other through their LAN ports and on the same subnet the second router, with the DHCP server turned off, should act as a simple switch. Any devices connecting to the second router should be able to see the DHCP server on the first router.

After changing the Local IP address on the second router from its original setting to 192.168.1.25, its web browser interface should be accessible on the newIP address.

It might help me and anyone else here to find the problem if you could give us the computer's LAN status under each of the following conditions:

1) Computer wire connected to the first router while DHCP disabled on the second router.
    2) Computer wire connected to the second router with DHCP disabled on the second router.
    3) Computer wire connected to the second router with DHCP enabled on the second router.

Enter the following three commands for each test and then post the IPCONFIG /ALL results for each test.

IPCONFIG /RELEASE
    IPCONFIG /RESET
    IPCONFIG /ALL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!