1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jolty Counter-Strike Source

Discussion in 'Games' started by randalll, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randalll

randalll Thread Starter

Hello, whenever i go on counter strike source it always displays a very jolty image. its as if its showing fewer frames per second.
    does anyone have any ideas on why this could be happening?

i dont know much about my hardware and drivers but i would've thought they would be powerful enough to run CSS on low-medium settings at least.

i have an 8500 graphics card, dual core processor, an ASRock motherboard (which cost £30)

infact, putting all the settings on high doesnt seem to make the problem any worse. it's just as jolty as on low-medium.

my friend thought the motherboard was the problem but wasnt sure how to fix it.

any ideas?

oh another thing.. i dont think its a problem with cs because i sometimes have the same problem on pro evolution soccer, usually when there are a lot of players around the ball.

2. Monso

Monso

What do you mean by "jolty"? Explain it exactly how you see it.

Make sure you have the latest video driver from your manufacturers website.

3. randalll

randalll Thread Starter

it's kinda hard to describe really, its just being slow, maybe theres too much pressure on the system.

if im running down a corridor say.. and theres a picture on the wall to my left or right. as i run towards and past it, it wont go by smoothly. it will be jerky and uncomfortable to look at.

its as if it's displaying fewer fps.

4. randalll

randalll Thread Starter

ive just run dxdiag and it sais the date of my graphics card drive was the end of 2007!

5. Darkicon

Darkicon

An 8500 video card doesn't tell what kind of card it is. Is it an nVIDIA GeForce 8500, or an ATI Radeon 8500?

6. Monso

Monso

I have some kind of idea what you're talking about; with my reaaally old computer, when I ran through smokes my FPS dropped to like 10, then when I ran out of it it was fine.

Just out of curiosity (and to help clarify), does this problem occur on custom maps (if so, what size are they? (small, insanely huge, etc) or the official maps? (de_dust/dust2, cs_office, etc).

I assume 8500 is a GeForce 8500GT....and I see what you're saying, you should be getting better performance on an $80 card (especially on a game that's almost a decade old).

Open up the case and make sure there is no abundance (is that the word I want? ...."lots of") of dust on the connectors for the GPU, and around the CPU....generally, there should be hardly any dust at all. If there is by chance a lot, turn your computer off and blow it off gently, be sure to gently wipe [with a dry towel] whatever dust comes off the inside to be sure it doesn't get in there again. Also make sure that the power cables are plugged in and not lose and jiggly.

What is the power supply you're using? (in Watts, preferably)

Also, do me a favor and run CS, open up console and type cl_showfps 1 (you can set it back to 0 after if you want....personally I keep it on), and recreate the "jolty" thing.....keep an eye on the FPS you're getting and let me (us) know.

p.s. Install the latest video drivers and let us know if that solves it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice