Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joy stick won't connect on new motherboard

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rugrat 
#1 ·
I finally got my new computer running using a new Abit Motherboard BD7 Raid with a built in sound card and a pentium 4 CPU. All is working good except that my old Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro Joy Stick isn't recognized as connected after connecting it to the game port. I connected my Microsoft gamepad and it was recognized as connected and it worked. I contacted the Microsoft Website and it said that the Resouces sould show only one DMA and it sould be 0201-0201. Mine shows 0201-0207 as well as a second DMA and I cannot change it in the Device Manager.
I also loaded the latest driver and software from Microsoft's download page,as well a patch for the 100 MHz bus speed. No good!
Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

#2 ·
How old is this joy stick? Are you running Xp? If so, have you checked that the joy stick is supported by Xp? Does windows recognize it as any sort of device when you connect it and boot?

#3 ·
My operating system is Windows 98 second edition. My motherboard operates at 100Mhz, and my CPU is a pentium 4. The sidewinder joystick is a 1997 version. And upon booting up the computer does not recognize anything. Its as if no new device was connected. The Joystick icon in the control panel when opened also says nothing is connected.

#4 ·
I contacted my motherboard tech support person. He says I should clear my CMOS, by moving the jumpers on my motherboard. He thinks this might fix my joystick showing not connected. I am reluctant to do this since my knowledge of CMOS is"0". If I clear the CMOS, can I still re-boot? This motherboard is NEW. The only change I made to it was to enter my CPU information in the SoftMenu. Other than that I made no other changes to the BIOS. I not sure what will happen when I go to bootup after clearing the CMOS. Do I have to re-enter any information to the Soft Menu again? My board is a ABIT BD7-RAID. I installed it with all new components including the hard drive, CD ROM , Floppy and a new RADEON 7500 Video Card. The board has a built in Sound Card with its own Game POrt connection. Could this be the problem. Or is my Sidewinder 3d Pro just to old to operate with a P4 system? I also loaded the latest software and drivers from Microsoft. It did not help. Do you think I should mess with the CMOS?

#5 ·
Well I cleared the CMOS, still didn't work.
I also Forced the Updating of the ESCD in the Bios, which ABIT suggested and that didn't help either.
Has anyone had this problem with a p4 computer or an ABIT motherboard ? Should I just get a later model Sidewinder or maybe disable my built in sound system and get a Sound Board for one of my PCI slots? Sure could use some help here. One of the reasons I built this system was to run games at their best.

#6 ·
Ed Sailer,
I am running the same joystick but on an Athlon. My i/o range is the same as yours (0200-0207) but no second range listed. The only issue I have is that when I go in to Add the joystick in the control panel, I have to use the CHFlightstick Pro. For some reason the MS Sidewinder does not work on my system correctly either. You may want to try that.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.