1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

jpeg and bmp files won't open any more

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by avenger40, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avenger40

avenger40 Thread Starter

I have a cd/r disc with some images I use for teaching and some family photographs taken on my digital camera. The disc has been used to add files to it about 5 or 6 times and files have saved ok. All of a sudden I cannot read from the disc - doesn't show up on either of my disc drives on file explorer or when trying to open with any phot editing package including Photoshop 7.0. These images are very important to me - can anyone advise me how to open what seems to have become a corrupted disc? If you can I would be very very grateful. Thank you for reading this.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There are several programs around that will try and recover files from a CD, the better ones probably cost a little more.
    http://www.downloadatoz.com/badcopy-pro/faq-cd-rw-recovery.html

The above link would be a typical application. Many will allow you to see if a recovery is possible, but will not actually recover unless you buy the program.

If I can make a suggestion though, please consider never "adding" to a CD, when it contains such valuable images. You place the entire contents at risk when you do so, as the entire "table of contents" has to be re-written in total and any corruption then affects all files on the CD.

3. avenger40

avenger40 Thread Starter

kiwiguy - many thanks for this helpful advice and for the weblink. I had to pay for the software but happily it has restored all of my files. Hugely grateful to you - many many thanks.

4. acraftylady

acraftylady

Make 4 copies of that disk with the important photos so if something happens to the original you are backed up and this won't happen again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice