1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jpeg Boxes with Red X's (in emails)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MikeSL8, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeSL8

MikeSL8 Thread Starter

Many times I send and receive e-mails with jpg pictures which, upon arrival, turn into nothing but a large square border with a boxed little red X in the upper right corner of it.

What causes that? How can I prevent it? How can I fix it? What determines when it'll happen? Sometimes I can forward one to somebody, and it'll be fine when it gets there!
    --Mike

2. engti

engti

Huh?

Explain where this is happening? Is this in your mail client?

3. Glottis

Glottis

It seems your email client is preventing "remote images" from loading. Check the options in your email client. Which one are you using, btw?

If Thunderbird, then go to Tools --> Options --> Privacy Tab --> General , then uncheck the "Block loading of remote images in mail messages".

Tony.

4. kalisun

kalisun

Also, sometimes for some unknown reason...if you paste a pic straight into a email you can see if fine before it is sent, but after you send the email the reciever on the other end doesn't get a copy of the pic just the email with red x where the pics should be..

5. MikeSL8

MikeSL8 Thread Starter

I am using Incredimail for e-mail.
    Incredimail settings aren't wrong, because the red X's only happen one in twenty times, whether it be sending or recieving.

Other freinds experience the same. :(

6. Glottis

Glottis

Are they using Incredimail, too?

7. MikeSL8

MikeSL8 Thread Starter

No. Many are just limping along with what AOL gives 'em -- modified Outlook Express, I guess.

8. Glottis

Glottis

I don't know how AOL works, but maybe it filters/blocks some image sources? I don't think that's it, but I'm just trying to help you find the problem.

And a question: Do you send the pictures as URL links or as attachments?

9. nettyiam

nettyiam

First Name:
    Betty
    Hi,
    I am having a problem also on both ME & WIN98 computers. It is happening when trying to view e-cards on their web pages or sometimes on MSN game pages. I have occasionally had some problems with cut & pasting into my Outlook Express email message. I do not have AOL, I have cable connection on both computers. I am currently awaiting a reply from Trend Micro as the little I have found on the net indicates it may be the firewall in my security software. Also read I needed the latest Java which I downloaded from here: http://dlc.sun.com/jdk/jre-1_5_0_01-windows-i586-p.exe It still occurs on the ecard web pages. Anyone have anything to add to this?
    Netty

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!