1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JPEG images won't display in folders or Windows Photo Viewer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by punchy71, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. punchy71

punchy71 Thread Starter

Some of the JPEG images I have in folders won't display. It just shows a blank icon where the photograph or picture should be.
    Whenever I try clicking on one of the blank picture icons Windows Photo Viewer automatically tries to open it up and I get the following error message: "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer."

Keep in mind these are just plain old JPEG images. They displayed just fine in Windows XP which was what I was using when I transferred these pictures from out of my old computer.

If it is Windows Photo Viewer that is the culprit, then how do you update it? If it is something else, what could it be?

Thank you

2. simonb89

simonb89

Have you tried opening the picture files with paint or another program?

3. punchy71

punchy71 Thread Starter

I tried Microsoft "Paint" and get the following error message: Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

Then I tried Microsoft Office Picture Manager and got the following: a blank icon in the shape of a tiny white square with a red "X" in the middle of it.

Then I tried Microsoft "Windows Live Photo Gallery" and got the following error message: Photo Gallery can't open this photo or video. The file may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted.

Strange... These images would open just fine in Windows XP, but not in Windows 7.

4. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

How are you transferring the files? Maybe it is getting corrupted? Do you have some images that work in windows 7 and some that don't? Or is it all .jpgs don't work?

5. punchy71

punchy71 Thread Starter

I stored the images on an external hard drive connected to a Windows XP pc. Then I went and bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it and I transferred all the images (all JPEG images by the way) from the external hard drive to the Windows 7 laptops internal c: hard drive. Most of the JPEG images are opening correctly but about 1/4 of them are not.

6. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

hmm, when you open it do you get a popup? Can you screen shot it and let me see what it says?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929902