1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JPEG won't open

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jimmy P, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Thread Starter

If I double-click on a .jpg photo in Windows Explorer, PaintShop Pro opens but I get the message that it can't open the file.

But if I open PaintShop Pro first, and then go to the same picture it opens.

Whaaaa?

2. slipe

slipe

An easy solution is to download Irfanview and use that as a viewer. It is much better than PSP for just viewing images. I use Photoshop for editing but Irfanview is my default viewer. Besides opening almost instantly it gives a bigger view. It gives you the option of which image types to associate – I just took everything that didn’t require plug-ins. www.irfanview.com

3. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Thread Starter

I took your suggestion. Thancks!

4. slipe

slipe

Couple of things to try:

View and set “Fit images to window” It will make the image as large is it can be in either width or height. If the image is larger than the window it will size it down to fit.

Once you get an image up, scroll with the wheel if you have one on your mouse. It will scroll through all of the images in the folder.

If you don’t have a wheel mouse, select full screen once you get an image up. You can now scroll through all of the images in the folder using the left and right mouse buttons.

5. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Thread Starter

I can open the image in Quick View, but I used to be able to double-click on the image and it would open PaintShop and open the image (before my computer crash). Now all I get is the box that sez "Cannot Open file" with an OK button.

Something is missing in my OS, since I reinstalled Windows 98

6. slipe

slipe

If I want to work on a file I open it from Photoshop. I often want to open a blank or transparent layer first anyway. I have everything defaulted to Irfanview though as it is much better for viewing.

If you want it to open for you in PSP, you can try re-associating it with PSP after you associate it with Irfanview.

In Windows Explorer find a jpg. Highlight it. While holding the shift key right click on the file and select “Open With” Make sure the “Always open this type of program with this file” is checked and navigate through the little box to PSP. See what it does this time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice