1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

jpg files won't open

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by mtthompson, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtthompson

mtthompson Thread Starter

A few weeks ago some of my digital photos - .jpg files - suddenly would just not open. It seems that one by one a succession of folders fell victim to this problem -- and it's continuing. The files are still there, there is no virus (at least not one Norton can detect), the files are not corrupted -- in fact, I can't find any problem at all. The files will simply not open with any program -- nor do they show a preview. Help please!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you say "will not open", surely they give some sort of explanation or error in the process?

If so, could you tell us what it is?

3. omfgtori

omfgtori

sadly it sounds like we are in the same boat.
    and i havent found any piece of information that i have found anywhere helpful.

if i find out how to fix it i will definitely inform you.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

what program are you trying to open them with?

What operating system are you using?

5. mtthompson

To clarify, if I try to open the files with MS Photo Editor I get a message that says, "Can't determine type." Other programs just say, "No preview available" or just display an "X" in the box. There is no preview when looking at the files in "my documents."

Thanks for any help!

6. mtthompson

Oh yes, I'm using Windows XP, Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 2

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

is this all jpg files or just a certain few?

if you right click on one and select "open with" then select windows picture and fax viewer do they open?

maybe try the jpg fix from here...http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

8. mtthompson

No, it is not all jpg files -- but it is all in selected folders (seemingly random folders). In other words, if one .jpg file will not open in a folder, none will open. For the most part the effected folders seem to be the most recently added folders (although some very recent folders are not effected). It is a bit bizaar. And, Windows picture and fax viewer will not open the files -- I just get the "preview not available" message.

I'll try the fix you suggested. Thanks!

9. mtthompson

10. mtthompson

Anyone else have any ideas to help solve this problem???

11. ultraclassic

ultraclassic

mtthompson,
    What program did you use to create the 'photo files?' Say you used 'Photoshop Elements 4' for instance. Right click on the photo and you should get a 'Dialog Box' scroll down to 'Open With' Click and then click on the program you used to create the photo and see if it opens.
    ultra

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You got a "bad" jpg picture (under 300k) that you can attach here ???

13. slipe

slipe

I would get a second opinion on the virus scan: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ The scan is free. They want you to pay to remove things but it isn’t necessary.

There have been way too many posts lately with files auto-corrupting. I have no idea whether each has its own separate cause or whether there is something common causing it.

Are all of the files being corrupted in your My Pictures folder? There have been posts where only those files are affected. You might consider moving your remaining photos to another folder if that is the case.

Are you using any sort of image organization software like Picasa, EasyShare or an album program?

14. mtthompson

Interesting -- I tried to attach one of the effected .jpg files and it would not upload -- I got an error message that it was not a valid image file.

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Try Zipping it

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/601940