1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.jpg images keep losing file association

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by brooke, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

I have a user whose .jpg files keep getting UNassociated. The first time this happened, I associated her .jpg files to open in Internet Explorer, and it was working fine. Well, now she went out and bought a digital camera and installed the MGI PhotoSuite software that came with the camera. When she did this, it apparently overwrote the file association and set .jpg images to open in the PhotoSuite software that came with her digital camera. It worked for awhile, but she opened a .jpg file she received as an email attachment, and it opened in the PhotoSuite software fine. She was doing something to the photo, when it disappeared and now all of her .jpg files have the Windows icon and when she tries to open them, she gets the OPEN WITH BOX and has to choose a program. She tried re-associating .jpg files with Internet Explorer, but that apparently didn't work. I haven't seen the problem since she works at home and not in the office.

She has contacted tech support for her digitial camera and tech support for the Photo Suite software, and they are both telling her it's an OS problem and not a problem with their software. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any advice or anything I can have her try?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

HI... YOU SHOULD HAVE HER SCAN FOR A VIRUS SINCE THIS HAPPENED FROM OPENING E-MAIL. .. AND VIEWING PICTURES FROM THERE IS WHEN IT WENT CRAZY , RIGHT?

She can use Housecalls for a really great "free"online scan
    ClickHere!

Savvy :)

If that happens to be negative ( & I hope it is ) What about doing a System File Check?

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I agree. Do a virus scan. If you find nothing.

Here's a link to another post about this kind of thing. There's a link to a registry patch to repair the file asociations. It's a long post, but very relevant.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=58153&highlight=Patch+and+Batch

Have a look in the registry. What these programs do is set up a file type of their own and then redirect all the graphics files to that.

For instance.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif
    In the right pane it should say Default giffile
    You scroll to giffile and will see the default icon and the CLSID and the shell open command. This directs how the file is handled.

That's they all work. Find the extension and its default name. Scroll to the default and you'll see the information.

Photosuite sets up a file type. Lets call it Photofile for our purposes. Then it goes through HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT looking for the extensions it is going to take over, and sets the default to Photofile. Now instead of being directed to giffile, gifs are defaulted to this photosuite filetype. So are any other image files.

You can either try reinstalling Photosuite, (is there a section which gives her a choice of which File Types she wants to assocaite?) I had another program and I removed the special Filetype, then reassociated my files and it did the trick.

Or she can apply the patch to reset the associations for graphics.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Just a note to pass on here since this tread is in good hands.
    Photosuite II and Photosuite III which sometimes comes along as freebees had file association problems. One in particular was dropping file associations which seems to be the problem here.
    When I first used II I had similiar problems and the answer I got from photosuite was II was no longer supported and and the previous problems have been addressed in photosuite 4.
    Since I upgraded I have had no occurances.
    Dave

5. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

I had her Live Update and do a virus scan, and her PC was clean. I think I will have her try the patch before we start editing the registry. I wonder why they didn't tell her about the problems with File Associations when she called the tech support for Photo Suite II?
    I'll also go back and read that other relevant thread.
    Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how it goes.

6. padutch

padutch

Brooke
    I also had a problem with PhotoSuite. Had is the key word. I used the patches to repair my registry and it did change the asociation back to IE but as soon as I opened the PhotoSuite again I had the same problem. This is where Mossaic1 came in. She made a batch file with PhotoSuite in it and also the patches used to repair the registry. Thus when the batch opens PhotoSuite and then closes it the batch also uses the patches to repair the registry. So now I can use the program with absolutely no problems. I have to give Mossaic1 a gold star for that one!!!!
    DUTCH

7. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

Her software is MGI PhotoSuite 8.1

Is this the same software your talking about?

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I was having the same identical problem when I first came to this forum..
    I was getting the wrong viewer to open when i was trying to view certain things... even HTML........ Irfanview had associated itsself to all images, So I changed the association.....& then a few days later it happened again. So this time before I fixed the association again ... I went to Irfanview & in the configurations
    I UN-checked all file extensions. Then I went back to my files & fixed the association to them. I didn't have any more trouble after that.

I think it was because it defaulted itself. I un-defaulted it by removing the checked extensions.

9. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

How do you remove the unchecked extensions? Is it an option inside the photosuite software?

If she uninstalls photosuite, do you think her file extensions will go back to the way they were?

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You go to the configurations for the Photosuite & remove the checks (only) in the file type association. ( all of them ) Then go back to a file she does want to open in another program & associate the file again as you did before. ( hilighting then "open with" & the little box should be checked to "Always open with") If that does not work.. you'll have to unistall it. Something should be done to be able to not have it as default though.

11. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

It seems she is talking to the tech support for her digital camera(Ricoh) not the MGI people. She is going to uninstall MGI and re-associate her files and then we'll go from there. She has several other photo programs she can use, so she'll probably be trashing the MGI stuff.
    After she uninstalls MGI, and her .jpg images are still messed up, I'll have her apply the fix from the other thread!

Thanks for everyone's help!

12. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

Well, I went back to that other thread and tried the image.cab file that Mosaic posted. I decided to test it on my PC before I sent it to my user. It screwed up all my .jpg images
    I can't open any of them. When I rt-click on the file, it doesn't even give me the OPEN WITH option.
    I went to the File Assocations and the .jpg file is still associated with Internet Explorer, but something is not working right. Did I do something wrong. I added the repair for .jpg .jpeg2 and .jpeg all to the registry. Was I supposed to only add 1.

I'm not very good with the registry editing...only a novice. I looked under the Classes_Root and there's it looks okay to me, but what do I know....

HELP!

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've never seen any problems reported from using those files, and they have been used often.

Open With is not, by default, a part of the right click menu unless you do it this way: select (highlight) the file, then shift+right click on it.

If you want to restore your previous configuration, do this: go to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt, enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry which predates the changes from one of the 4 you see. Any subsequent installs or registry related settings changes will be undone.

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I don't know what Operating system you are using. IF windows 98, boot to the command prompt. REboot the Computer and press the CTRL button until you see the boot menu. Choose command prompt only. At the prompt, which looks like this
    C:\> Type scanreg /restore
    Choose yesterday's registry. (Or the registry from the date right before you applied the patch)

15. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

Okay...I guess I panicked...
    I did not know about holding the SHIFT key and rt clicking. That worked...I picked Internet Explorer, and all my .jpg files open now.
    I went ahead and followed the directions about registering that .dll file according to the version of IE I was using. Should I not have done that?

I am running Windows98SE, but my user is running WindowsME

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice