1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

jpg paste over

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by MAD5267, Jul 12, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. MAD5267

MAD5267 Thread Starter

Help! how can i recover an accidentally saved over jpg file? i accidentally paste over a picture then save it.

2. Sponsor

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

What do you mean when you write..... "......i accidentally paste over a picture...."....?

I don't understand the term "paste over".

T.

4. MAD5267

MAD5267 Thread Starter

how to recover last known picture from my jpg, because I paste a picture over my previous picture then save it, thanks for your reply.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Do you have a backup< because that is your only option. If you have Vista, 7, or 8, then you can try to right click on the file or the folder it's in and try to use Previous Versions.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

I agree with Rob (Triple6), a Backup or a Previous Version are your only options.

In Windows 10 you Right-Click on the file and then click on "Restore previous versions"

T.

7. ChuckTin

ChuckTin

Once you save a JPEG that's it. Any and all "layers" are collapsed. With this scenario there's no going back. Moral: never work in jpegs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

ChuckTin, that is not really helpful or practical advice to give a novice. jpegs are a universally accepted standard. Perhaps a more useful "moral" would be....... always have backups of important files.

If the User is operating under Windows (8 / 8.1 / 10) then activating File History will in many cases resolve this type of issue. File History is not a Backup utility in the usual sense but rather an Audit Trail utility. File History saves new versions of all files under its umbrella without overwriting the previous version. Therefore if the User inadvertently overwrites a file they can retrieve the last saved version. And File History works automatically in the background using minimal system resources.

T.

9. ChuckTin

ChuckTin

Respectfully disagree. That is best advice to give a novice. Don't work in Jpeg. I do photo for a living. That jpegs are a _final_ product is something you need to know from go or learn painfully.
    As to history, kind of depends on the user. Some would have it set up, others ... probably not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

10. kenbok51

kenbok51

This happened to me today when I was editing a photo in Photoshop Elements. I have mistakenly done this in the past since the "Save" button and the "Save as" button are right next to one another. If I accidentally click the Save button and it asks for confirmation and I choose cancel the photo gets changed in the original folder anyway even though I chose cancel (I use PSE 2). Today once I realized what I had done, I went to FILE and selected Revert to get the original back and then saved it again. Then I used the undo arrow to get the edited photo back and made sure I selected "save as" this time. Once you over write a file and close the editor your out of luck unless you keep copies of the original files. For this reason it's a good idea to create a 0Temp folder for your editing (the 0 means it will be at the top of the file tree) copy the files you want to play with into the temp folder and then it's OK to over write them since the originals are in a separate folder.

11. cornemuse

cornemuse

I convert jpg's to bmp, first, then edit the bmp.
    I use Paint.Net, mostly, (i'm not a pro!) ctr+shift+'s', right arrow, & ad an 'n' to 'new' name. I have an old media player that when viewing images, only recognizes jpg's, so when I'm all done I convert back to jpg.

Only occasionally do I save files to *.pdn (paint.net) files.

Most (in my experience) editors ask first before writing over existing files, so its not like one wasn't warned!!

12. kenbok51

kenbok51

Photoshop elements 2.o asks first but even when you click to cancel it still ends up changing the file. Stupid really. I couldn't tell you about newer versions of elements, the ones I tried as trials I didn't like the dark background so I stuck with my purchased 2.0. It's possible if I just click to close the save screen it would not change the file, I'll have to try that.
    Well that's odd I tried both the cancel and closing the window and neither changed the photo. For the life of me I don't know what happened the last time I canceled and it changed on me anyway. Cornemuse your aware that changing from jpeg to bitmap and back to jpeg will cause you to lose some quality right? If you copy a file to another folder there is no loss of quality but changing formats and then and saving does lose some.

13. cornemuse

cornemuse

If one edits/modifies jpg's a number of times, you will lose more 'quality' (degradation) than converting back'n'forth, in my experience, anywayz, , ,

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192855