1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.jpg screen shots now gibberish

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kendp, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kendp

kendp Thread Starter

I've been making quite a bit of use of screen shots lately. I make the screen shot with the Gadwin PrintScreen, then either send it immediately by email or send it to C:\My Documents. Until yesterday, this was working fine.

Yesterday I did some housecleaning using Norton SystemWorks, jv16, and several other maintenance tools I have on my computer. I thought at the time I might be deleting too much, but since I had not had a problem with any of these tools before, I followed the delete recommendations. Afterward, I defragged and reorganized the registry using Norton System Works.

For most of the day, everything seemed to work normally. But then when I made a screen shot , I found that what I had put in C:\My Documents was not the desired screen shot but a page of text that was nothing by gibberish. The screen shots had a .jpg extension. Investigating further, I found that all previous screen shots in My Documents were also now gibberish, as were all pictures, etc. Anything in My Documents with a .gif, .jpeg, or .jpg extension was gone, replaced by the page of gibberish. I tried sending a screen shot to another folder just to be sure, but it, too, was gibberish.

I realize that among the things clean out yesterday must have been items that I need to put back. But I have no idea what they are, nor where they should be put. Your help in solving this problem will be greatly appreciated.

2. mobo

mobo

scanreg /restore or system restore depending on the os and go back to yesterday . Then do your maintenance with more caution.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Open your graphic application. Drag and drop one of these files onto the open window.
    I think all that has happened is that you have temporarily moved/lost the correct default application for jpg files.
    All you need to do is get the correct default back. Right click on a jpg file in explorer and choose open with. Tick the always open with box, then browse to your graphic application and select it.

4. kendp

kendp Thread Starter

Dave, I am afraid I made the problem worse. I right clicked on one of the screenshots, a menu appeared including "open with" and a long list. Not being sure what was used before, I clicked on "CopyWriter", then always open with. This, I now know, was the wrong thing to do as now I am not given the opportunity to correct this mistake. When I click on a screenshot it opens as code in CopyWriter. Apparently the first thing I have to do is get back to where I was when I read your reply. In otherwords, elmininate CopyWriter as the program to open .jpg files with.

When I right click on a .gif file, I still have the "open with" option.

I clicked on file>Open File>My Documents>one of the .gif files. It opens. However when I click on a .jpg screenshot, it opens, but as code in CopyWriter.

I hope this helps you get me back on track.

5. DaveBurnett

You should still be able to right click on the the JPG and select the correct application - the same one the GIF files open with.

6. kendp

kendp Thread Starter

Ok, this is an update I what I just sent.

If I open My Documents, all the screen shots are shown with a CopyWriter icon. (Up until I developed this problem, they had a Firebird icon Firebird being my default browser).

When I click on File>OpenFile>My Documents>one of the .jpg screenshots>Open it opens (even though it has the CopyWriter icon)

I am getting the code only when I left click directly on one of the .jpg files in My Documents or when I right click on the file, then click "Open"

When I left click on a .gif file in My Documents, I also get code. Even though it doesn't have theCopyWriter icon. Instead of it, it has he Windows icon. But when I go the File>OpenFile route, it opens as it is supposed to. Or I can left click on icon, then >open with> explorer (or several others) and the .gif will open.

It seems to me one of the first things I have to do is to remove "copywriter" as the program to open .jpg files. On that long list that you get when you click on open with, CopyWriter is not shown for .jpg files, only txt and RTF . IrfanView is shown for .jpg. But whatever I did seems to have locked me into the use of CopyWriter, which is not what I want.

PS: Even though IrfanView is associated with .jpg on that list, it wasn't what was opening those screenshots until yesterday afternoon. Those screenshots all had a Firebird icon,whatever that means.

7. kendp

kendp Thread Starter

I seem to have a chance to correct my CopyWriter error. Just discovered that I have an Open With box asking what program to use for a .jpg file.

This time, what program should I choose?

I am no aware what was used before yesterday because only the screen shot opened. There was nothing else to identify it with a particulara program. It looked just like the screenshot does when I go the File> route.

8. DaveBurnett

Do/did you have the Mozilla web browser installed? I think that is what the Firebird is referring to. If all you want to do is browse the pictures use IrfanView - it supports most graphic formats and has other little goodies like thumbnail and slideshow viewers.

9. Miz

Miz

If you download and install Irfanview, it will give you the option during the install to associate it with any or all graphics formats.

Once installed, the files associated with it will display the Irfanview icon. Then opening any will cause them to open in Irfanview.

If you decide to go this route, go ahead and get all the Irfanview plugins.

10. kendp

kendp Thread Starter

Sorry about delay in reporting conclusion. I uninstalled then redownloaded and installed Irfanview and plugins. In process. my problem was solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!