1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JPG won't open ( Some / NOt All )

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by doug1234, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Transfered pics from memory card to computer--out of 187 pics shot--29 won't open--Can't read file format and Unknown file format or file not found---I see this as a problem for many people, but have not found anyone with an answer to solve problem--Can't copy, and don't seem to be able to get the jpgs back on to the memory card to see whether I could see in my camera.
    Olympus D-510 zoom -- Win xp home -- Irfan Viewer:(

2. slipe

slipe

Once an image is corrupted it is hard to get it back. There is software to do that but the success rate doesn’t seem great. If Irfanview won’t even try to open it the header is likely corrupted. There is software that will fix a corrupted header but I don’t know of any that is free. Maybe someone else does.

It might be that your memory card is bad and not storing the images properly. It might be that the camera is faulty. Or that something isn’t going right with the transfer.

If you kept the useless 8Mb card that came with the camera you could check to see if that will let you get uncorrupted images from the camera. It is a place to start.

You also might try an online virus scan to make sure your AV hasn’t missed something. This is reported to be good: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

3. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Hi Slipe
    I have been looking for answers, but realized after I sent the help message, that I can't get the problem jpgs off my memory card to do anything with.
    The good ones are saved in a file, but the non opening ones stay and refuse to transfer.
    Put the memory card back in the camera, but it says nothing is on it.
    Don't understand if when I place the card in the reader, all pics except bad ones show.
    Tried to download housecall and installed what it said I needed, but the program only opens 38% and says I need a different window, which I click YES to but directs me to an empty page.

4. slipe

slipe

Try one of these: http://www.google.com/search?q=onli...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1 I would try the Kapersky first as it has a good reputation.

If the corrupted files are still on your camera and you didn’t upload them from the computer a virus isn’t a likely culprit. Maybe your attempt to get them back on the card was successful and they wouldn’t show on the camera because they are corrupted. In that case a virus scan would be indicated.

Have you formatted the card in the camera? It should be a menu selection. My old Olympus did a complete format rather than a quick one, so it should clean out the card for you. If you haven’t formatted the card since your first use it might clear up your problems. You should format the card occasionally. I always erase my pictures with an in-camera format after I download. If nothing else the camera slows down after a long period without a format.

5. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

I finally deleted what was on the memory card due to frustration, so my last pics are gone.
    The camera is an Olympus D-510 which I have owned since 2001 and has been a great camera.
    I take a lot of pics, and should probably look into a newer camera.
    From what I have read, quite a few people seem to have problems.
    When I take over 50 pics, I used to have to keep downloading when some jpgs would not go to my folder, but they all would go eventually.
    This time, the message said it could not read the header, and no matter how many times I tried, they would stop at 163.
    I don't see any info on how to format the card in our out of the camera, and nothing indicates a card setup except for a small t
    If I say yes, a light flashes several times, but does not say what has happened.
    Thanks for your help though

6. moper

moper

I had an Olympus D-510. To format the card:
    Close the cover, press the Monitor button, then the Menu button, select Card, Card Setup, and Format.

moper

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice