1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

jscript.dll failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jadetigercg, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jadetigercg

jadetigercg Thread Starter

My search companion comes up blank, meaning the dog is there, but no dialogue boxes to enter text. I found that this was do to a jscript.dll error which seems to be happening to other users alot. I found two solutions from microsoft, but they either don't provide enough info for me to complete or they do not work. I've found people have posted the exact same hangups that I have had, and like me, none of them ever get any working solutions. This thread would be a great place to finally put full detailed solutions this error. I know this is long, but please read the whole post and wherever you can contribute would be appreciated by more than just myself.

Microsoft's two solutions:
    Method 1: Reregister Jscript.dll

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK.
    3. Click OK.
    (This failed for me oddly on all but one profile on my computer. Even on the admin profile this didn't work. On the profile this did work on, the problem was I had to do this every time I logged in to that account. Any info on why that might be would be awesome.)

If the file does not register as expected, or if you receive an error message, the system file may be missing or damaged. To extract the missing file in Windows XP, follow these steps:

2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    3. Click Expand File.
    4. In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
    5. In the Restore from box, type the path of the Windows XP .cab file where you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.

Note The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD.
    6. In the Save file in box, type the path where you want to extract the new file, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
    7. Click Expand.
    8. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
    The problem I have with this is step 5 and 6. First of all, when I browse to that part of the windows cd, I don't know which cab file to link to and then where to save the new one. Explanation on this section would again, be awesome.

Method 2: Edit the registry

To do this, follow these steps.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32
      The (Default) value data should contain the following value: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL
      If it does not, double-click Default, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL in the Value dataOK. box, and then click
    4. The ThreadingModel value data should contain the following value: Both
      If it does not, double-click ThreadingModel, and then type Both in the Value data box.
    5. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32
    6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 7.
    7. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c262-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32
    8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 9.
    9. Exit Registry Editor.
    Step 3 is the only problem I have with this method because 414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58 does not exist for me. Any idea why? Does this need to be fixed and if so how?

Some people are wary of installing strange programs and things to fix this issue. I've found a lot of threads where people will say, "Just download this file and run it and it will fix your problem". Most of the time this does not work and you can never really be sure if those files are safe. Therefore solutions without the use of third party software would be ideal.

Just to reiterate all my questions:
    1. Why/How does this happen on some user profiles and not others and how can it be fixed.
    2. If you run regsvr32 jscript.dll and it does work, how do you fix it so that you don't have to do this every time you log in.
    3. On Method 1, which CAB file do you need to browse to on the cd, and where do you need to save it to? Please be specific.
    4. On Method 2, why is
    414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58 missing and is this a problem?
    5. In general, why does jscript.dll get corrupted or fail and what steps can you take to avoid this problem in the future?

2. helpful

helpful

1. Why/How does this happen on some user profiles and not others and how can it be fixed.
    First guess would be a program starting under just some of the users profiles are causing the issue.

2. If you run regsvr32 jscript.dll and it does work, how do you fix it so that you don't have to do this every time you log in.

Compare:

1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    2) %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Each locations lists the programs that startup specifically under just the locally logged in user account. You need to compare the differences between a working user account and another account that is not working.

3. On Method 1, which CAB file do you need to browse to on the cd, and where do you need to save it to? Please be specific.

jscript.dl_ and the file should be restored to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

4. On Method 2, why is 414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58 missing and is this a problem?

That is the place the DLL's registration information is stored. if that subkey is missing the DLL is not registered.

3. jadetigercg

Thank-you so much for your response.

For Method 1: Could you please write out exactly what needs to be entered in each of these blanks? Its still not clear to me. For the middle blank, you'll notice that no jscript came up when I browsed for it. It wants a cab file. Which cab file do I need to select?[​IMG]

4. helpful

helpful

File Restore: JSCRIPT.DLL

Restore from: {path to cd i386 direcory}\JSCRIPT.DL_

SAVE FILE IN: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

* The files on the disc with the last character as an underscore in the file extension are Microsoft cabinet files. The reason why you can not see the file is the msconfig utility assumes the file that you are restoring is using the standard .cab extension for MS cabinet files.

5. jadetigercg

Thanks again for the response. Sadly, after attempting to fix that via the windows cd, I have a whole bunch of new issues on start up. I'm getting two errors from roxio at start up, a 3d server is attempts to load even though we had shut that off, and my adobe gamma settings for my monitors reset every time. Windows media player won't work on my profile either but that's been a problem for a while. This computer had been scheduled for a reformat, but I really wanted to see if we could fix the jscript issue in case this comes up again in the future. Next I'm going to try comparing profiles like you mentioned. Any other suggestions about how to fix this issue short of a reformat?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice