1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Juddering Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ineedahand, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ineedahand

ineedahand Thread Starter

Hi when im playing music through winamp and if i happen to move a file transferiing from drive to drive it cuts the sound up until the transfer is complete when it returns to normal i'm running XP.....................anyone have any ideas........ cheers

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does it only happen in Winamp? What about Windows Media Player?

When did this begin happening?

Are there any other "performance" issues as well -- such as slow opening folders and applications?

How much memory is installed in the system?

If you monitor the CPU usage when this occurs (use the task manager) -- does any process other than Winamp use more than 30 % CPU time? Ignore System Idle Process.

Also:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

3. ineedahand

Hi yes it also happens with windows media player but no other formats other than when playing music, I'm running Celeron 2.9ghz with 960ram it has always done it and we have had the pc for about a year now.

cheers

4. ineedahand

We have two pcs networked, and it doesnt happen when in im listening to music from an external hdd via usb on one pc, but i can also move data and music files from my internal hdd to the same external hdd...... sounds confusing....... i actually have c,d,e, hdd then a f& g as rom's then h as another hdd then i,j,k,l as a card reader then two external usb drives which are n & o..... and its when im swapping fron either of the cde or h to the usb drives......................... does that all make sense?

ive just checked on the cpu which is at 94 - 100% whilst im moving filesa , and taskmgr is using upto 30% winamp is 60% and explorer is up to 75% at times.....

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Explorer should not be using that kind of cpu resource.

Is there anything special about these folders and the files in them? For example do they contain mostly multimedia or image files? Does the problem occur with folders containing data files only and no multimedia or images?

Explorer issues can occur there when the thumbnail caches in these folders are damaged. These can be either Windows thumbnails or 3rd party programs such as Photoshop.

Can you test the issue also in a different User Account -- for example the Guest account if you want to enable it, or create a test account?

6. ineedahand

The files are all mp3 files which im saving / backing up should anything occur with the hard drives as has happend previously to us.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, I don't know why it would happen with mp3 files particularly. What is the processor speed on the system?

Also, while I don't think this is an issue since you have no other performance problems -- check it out anyway:

If you open the Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!