1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

July 2009 Microsoft Critical Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ibemaggie, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibemaggie

ibemaggie Thread Starter

Hi. Could one of you experienced techies please let me know which of the High Priority Microsoft updates I should install? I have been burned before by just downloading these updates without checking them out. So these updates would inclue
    Cumlative Update for IE 7
    Update to Frame 3.5
    Internet Explorer 8 (I am really dubious about this one)
    Update for Microsoft Silver light what ever in the heck that is and
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

Also is the microsoft malicicous software removal tool a good thing and if so I read some where that it should be updated every Tuesday. Do you recommend this?

As always I appreciate your help. Maggie

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Maggie:

Install the cumulative update for IE7 and the update for Microsoft NET Framework 3.5.

You don't need to install IE8, unless you want to upgrade from IE7.

You apparently already have Microsoft Silverlight installed, which is why an update for it is posted. Uninstall it in Add Or Remove Programs. You don't need it, and it's known to be problematic and to conflict with Adobe Flash Player.

I don't know why you're being prompted to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. It may be needed because of some program you have installed.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool is released every month. Go ahead and download it and let it run.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. ibemaggie

ibemaggie Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply/info flavallee from you and your little assistant there!
    I do not know how Microsoft Silverlight got on my computer but it is gone now.
    I appreciate your time. Maggie

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, Maggie. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!