1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jump lists in MS Office stopped working

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by help-please, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help-please

help-please Thread Starter

I use jump lists all the time, as I cannot remember file names or locations.
    I use Office Pro 2007 with Windows 7 on a laptop.
    A week or so ago my jump lists in MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint stopped working. The lists were there, but contained old files, no new ones.
    I deleted %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and \CustomDestinations but the lists remained.
    I then went to the programmes, Options, Advanced, set the lists to 0. They disappeared. I reset to 20. The won't reappear when I open and close files, so now I have no lists at all.
    I have tried to find registry folders suggested by other threads, but they are not there.
    I have rebooted, and even repaired Office using the original discs, all to no avail.
    I guess there's a corrupt file somewhere...?

2. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Have you tried selecting a Restore Point prior to the issue? Even if you have and it did not work, it might be a good idea to create a new restore point in case trying to fix this causes more serious issues. This link addresses your issue, but I suspect you will have to create new Jump lists, because you deleted, rather than safely moving the automatic and custom destinations. A couple side notes, this is a Windows function, repairing or installing Office will not fix it, but could damage office. Please also stay far, far away from any Registry Cleaners (in case you get pointed in that direction).
    http://www.techspot.com/guides/363-windows-jump-lists-fix-and-tricks/
    Good Luck.

3. help-please

I have tried all of that with no joy.
    I restored from a restore point before the problem started. The Recent Documents list in the programme (to the right of the Office button menu) was restored as it was - i.e. with no new files (since beginning of 2013). If I did some of the 'tips and tricks with Jump lists' I could get files to appear there (that I had opened and closed again) from pre-2013, but even though I have opened and closed more recent files, they still don't appear.
    In the CustomDestinations and AutomaticDestinations folders, there are now fewer files, and none that relate to the Recent Documents list, only that relate to the Jump Lists.
    There surely has to be another location where the Recent Documents are located? And why did the restore not work?

4. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

with the automatic and custom destinations deleted, you will have to recreate your Jump Lists as you go. This link is for turning on or off Recent Items, but also offers some clues if they are not functioning correctly. If you go to the Start button, search for Restore, you will see an option to Restore Start Menu Defaults. Customize, and look through the options to ensure what you want available is there the way you want it. You will also see Create a Restore Point. Available Drives and Protection settings (by selecting each) can also be customized. Some options available if selected may be why the Restore did not work for you. The only answer I seem to arrive at, is using this information and Google, you will need to play and rebuild what you need to see, as what you had was deleted. Here is the link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2013-recent-items-turn-off.html

5. help-please

I think this is my fault, I haven't explained the problem clearly enough. Since I restored to a restore point, the Recent Document lists are there, but are just not updating in Word & Excel. They are full of old documents, the last one dated 28th Dec, 2012.
    I have another programme (Serif PagePlus) that also uses a Recent Documents list. These ARE updating OK, and the list contains documents dated recently.
    If I go into %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items, the only documents there are the old ones, the last one dated 28th Dec. Oddly, the old PagePlus files are also there, up until the same date, but no new ones from that date. Therefore it is as though all the more recent files are going somewhere else, and Page Plus is finding them, but Office is not... this gets stranger and stranger. Is there a way of tracking them from within PagePlus?

6. Codecraftsman

Codecraftsman

I recently installed Office 2010 (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint only) on my laptop. Prior to this, it had the starter version of Office 2010 which I used to some extent. The jumplists worked fine for starter versions of Word and Excel. After the install, the jumplists fail to work for Word and Excel but work fine for Powerpoint. When I pinned the starter versions back onto the start menu, the lists appear with them fine. Select a recent document and it opens in the full version. Click on the starter app and the starter starts (expected). Open or create a new document with the full and it appears in the recent documents for the starter.

I have tried so many different suggestions that I have lost count. I finally uninstalled all of the Office software. Reinstalled the full version of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Still, I get Powerpoint jumplist works fine and the other two have nothing. I just tried a new doc in Word which appears fine in Word's recent documents within the app but not on the jumplist. The file a7bd71699cd38d1c.automaticDestinations-ms did not update.

I welcome any suggestions.... hopefully I might receive some that I have not tried.... maybe even one that works in my case (from my search, I have come across similar issues for other users.... a particular solution worked fine for them but no luck for me... I'm just getting somewhat upset).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!