1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

jumpers on old maxtor help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anthem, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anthem

anthem Thread Starter

I have an old 20.4 gig maxtor missing thejumper pins . I have extra pin but dont know wher to set them for master as well as for slave . this is model number 32049h2 any help

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Does the header on the drive match any of these?

[​IMG]

3. anthem

anthem Thread Starter

It does match but when I set it as a slave it would not come up on my compaq , it just does not show up when I turn on the computer. I have not tried it as as a master yet , any suggestions.? thanks

4. cwwozniak

Is the original working drive set to Master or Cable Select?

With the power turned off, unplug the original drive and move the plug to the old Maxtor drive set to the same Master or Cable Select jumper settings as the working drive. Does it show up in the BIOS settings? Does it make any noises like it is spinning up and heads are moving?

5. anthem

anthem Thread Starter

with it in the master mode it does spin and sounds like the heads are moving but I get a boot up failer notice. asking me to put in a boot up disk which I dont have.

6. cwwozniak

That is why I asked if it shows up in the BIOS configuration. You get into the computer's the BIOS settings long before the computer tries to boot the operating system. The exact method of viewing the BIOS settings varies a bit between motherboards and BIOS's. Some computers will display instructions to press a certain key to access the BIOS when they are first turned on. You may also need to navigate through some BIOS menus to see what is connected to the EIDE / IDE ports.

EDIT: If the Computer does not show any type of BIOS access instructions when first turned on, try tapping the "DEL" key as it powers up. If that doesn't work try to power up while tapping the F1, F2 or F8 function keys.

If the old drive shows up in the BIOS settings, there is a good possibility the hard drive is not formatted or is formatted but does not have an operating system installed on it. In that case, reconnect the original master hard drive, connect the old drive as a slave, and then check to see if it and the original hard drive both show up in the BIOS settings.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589736