1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jumping Cursor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bill Stamps, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill Stamps

Bill Stamps Thread Starter

undefined When I am typing any document my cursor keeps jumping all over the place. This same thing happened to me once before when I had Win. 98. I have a laptop and what also happens conjointly with this problem is when I plug in an external mouse it will not operate independently of the built-in mouse. I can move both at the same time. When it happened before with Win 98, they sent me a service pack. I now upgraded to Windows XP and it is now doing it again.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi Bill Stamps, Welcome to TSG!!

Does your laptop have the pointing stick? For mine that's in the center of the keyboard and it's purple.

3. bizzt

bizzt

I find with my Laptop (touch pad) when my hand is typing it keeps touching the Pad. This in turn moves the mouse. Don't know if that is causing the Problem or not??

4. JOHNBB

JOHNBB

I too have this problem on a laptop. I also had it with Win'98, now I have it with Win.XP home edition SP1.

I would like an answer too, as how to correct it.

For me it does not appear to be anything to do with the touch pad on the computer.

It happens on websites where typing is required, it happens on my PIM programme. The programme tech staff are unable to help me either.

An answer would be VERY welcome.

5. Bill Stamps

Bill Stamps Thread Starter

I know that it can be fixed. When I had Windows 98 and my computer was yet under warranty, the company sent me a service pack disk. However, I have now upgraded to Windows XP --- I am not under warrantee and I am having the problem again. I know that there must be a way to fix this problem.

6. Dan O

Dan O

It sounds like to me that your are using the wrong pointer driver. Go to the Laptop manufacture's web site and locate the latest XP driver and download and install it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

7. JOHNBB

JOHNBB

I don't think changing our respective drivers is the correct path as we have different brands of laptops. At least I assume that we have, mine is a Taiwan Asus.

I feel, but don't realy know, that the problem originates in the Windows system that is common to both XP and '98.

Some years back, I was told how to correct in '98 but unfortunately I did not keep a record of how to correct it.

At least it's gratifying to find others with the same problem.

I only hope someone can come up with the answer as how to correct it.

8. JOHNBB

JOHNBB

Success !!!!!!!

I've solved my jumping cursor problem.

The previous person who said it was the touch pad driver was right.

I was wrong.

I re-installed my touch pad drivers from the CD provided with my computer, and all my problems disappeared.

No more jumping cursor.

However, how others can solve their own problem with their particular brand of computer is another issue.

I was lucky in having the appropriate drivers on my provided CD. What IF one doesn't have such a CD ? What do you do then ?

Perhaps the experts can clarify, as this seems to be a perineal problem

For what it's worth, below is the blurb that comes with my computer on the subject. I hope that it is of use to someone.

"Prevent Accidental Pointing While Typing"

Unintentional pointer movement and accidental taps can be caused by accidentally brushing the surface of the TouchPad with your palm or another part of your hand. The results of this contact can be observed as a changing cursor location when typing, causing subsequent text to appear in the wrong place. Or text may “spontaneously” be highlighted and replaced.

Most often, this unwanted pointing activity occurs when typing on the keyboard. The TouchPad can detect and prevent accidental and unwanted pointer movement while you are typing.

If you see unwanted pointer movement occurring while you are typing, you can adjust the Palm Check slider located on the Touch Properties Page (synt0e7o.htm) in the Mouse Properties (synt1c4s.htm) dialog. Move the slider thumb to the right towards Maximum. Now accidental brushes of your hand on the TouchPad while you are typing are more likely to be ignored.

On the other hand, in the midst of typing, you might purposefully use the TouchPad to point and click, and sometimes the TouchPad may not seem to respond. In this case, move the slider thumb to the left towards Minimum. Now pointing during typing is less likely to be interpreted as an accidental brush with the pad surface, and will not be ignored.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice