1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jumping Display

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by James41, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James41

James41 Thread Starter

I have found several times recently that my desktop display suddenly becomes disrupted. I have not been able to identify whether or not it is when I am doing any particular thing.
    Menus pop up and start moving to other positions and when it settles down desktop icons have moved to new positions. I usually regain control by frequently clicking the mouse until things settle down.
    Hard drive activity light seems to be flashing more than I would expect during simple activities.
    I wondered if it might be a RAM problem with information being processed randomly to wrong locations?
    Any ideas would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    James

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Do you have any programs that maybe checking for updates

If you have desktop cleanup on then try turning it off.

Open Task Manager and check under processes what is taking up usage when you see the HDD working for no reason.

3. James41

James41 Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks for the tips. Task manager just shows Zonealarm firewall and three internet windows open with email inbox. Activity is just me flicking from one window to another to read them. The red activity light is quite busy even when I stop doing anything myself although it does calm down a bit.
    The other point about desktop cleanup I'm not clear about. I've used disk cleanup but I can't see where desktop cleanup is. Is it within the XP system or a separate program?
    James

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Desktop Cleanup

Right click on a empty place on the desktop choose Properties
    Then Desktop tab >>Customize Desktop
    Under desktop Cleanup untick the box

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice