1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

jumpy monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JeanneJ1, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JeanneJ1

JeanneJ1 Thread Starter

Hi guys ;)
    My monitor when I turn on my computer is a little jumpy from side to side.. This is a relatively new problem.. I don't know what to do about it. Can anyone suggest something? Thanks.. Jeanne :) I'm running windows98 Se on a celeron 400.

2. norton850

norton850

I'm guessing that your monitor is on the "older" side and that could be the whole problem.

Check that your monitor cable is in good condition, no kinks or twists and that it is firmly connected to your video adapter plug.
    Install the latest drivers for your video card.
    Try changing the resolution settings for the monitor. Try both higher and lower, but don't make any big changes or you might end up with a blank screen.
    If possible plug in the monitor on another system. If the problem goes away your video card could be the problem or the monitor is picking up interference at its usual location.

3. JeanneJ1

JeanneJ1 Thread Starter

norton850:
    it is not a new monitor but is not very old.. It is a sylvania F70 19". I bought it from costco about 2 years ago.. it has had some problems, the screen goes light and dark, and when I tap it on the side.. it gets light again sometimes.. it doesnt happen often.. but has happened on occasion since I brought it home.. the cable are connected. no twists.. it is probably going out.. but it has a 10 year warranty.. so I can probably get it replaced.. I just havent yet.. the jumpiness is starting to get to me though LOL...I just thought it might be something that was caused by software or spyware..because my mouse sometimes sticks too..and computer is running slower..I have run adaware and sypgbot.. maybe I need someone to look at the hijackthis log?? I have onboard video.. so if it is that I will have to change and buy a video card.. right now the stupid thing is not jumping.. it is crazy it only does it sporatically.

4. norton850

norton850

"10 year warranty" (y) If you have a ball mouse maybe it just needs a good cleaning. Over time systems (ie Windows) get cluttered up with all sorts of non essential stuff. You may want to go into Task Manager and see what's running and slowing your system down.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice