1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jumpy video when burning VOB file to DVD+R using Roxio MyDVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cronopio, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cronopio

cronopio Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a .VOB file that I just burned onto a DVD+R using Roxio's MyDVD application. But when I watch the resulting video on my DVD player, it looks pretty 'jumpy'.

Any ideas what might be causing this? The source file, the MyDVD application, my DVD player?
    For what it's worth, I'm burning at 16x and video quality is set to HQ (High Quality), and my system is Windows XP.

Thanks for your help,
    cronopio

2. Sportfish

Sportfish

Hey cronopio, I'm not a huge fan of Roxio. I'd give Nero trial version a try for starters. What brand of burner are you using and have you updated the firmware for it? Make sure your using quality media like Tayo Yuden or Verbatim. It also could be as simple as lowering your burn speed to 12 or 8X. What is the VOB file? Could it be encrypted? If so you can try the trial version of AnyDVD by Slysoft. If these ideas don't help, give us a bit more info that I asked about and we'll take it from there.
    Good Luck,
    Mark (y):cool:

3. cronopio

cronopio Thread Starter

Hey Sportfish,

Solved!
    I started with the first option, and after figuring out Nero's not-so-intuitive interface, I must say that "I'm not a huge fan of Roxio" is, for me, quite an understatement. Burning the DVD with Nero took a fraction of the time AND resulted in smooth video. I'll be buying my Nero license soon.

Thanks,
    cronopio

4. Sportfish

Sportfish

Excellent, Glad to hear you got it licked. (y) :cool: :D

5. cronopio

cronopio Thread Starter

Well, I spoke too soon. I burned two DVDs like this with Nero: one refused to load in my DVD player at all (although it plays OK on the PC), the other started showing errors (read: grinding to a halt) about 2 minutes in. Could I expect better results if I slow down Nero? It takes only 5 minutes, versus over an hour with Roxio. I'll try slowing it down a bit, maybe that'll help.
    Maybe I should buy some Verbatim DVDs, although Roxio seems to have no problems with these DVDs (except for the jumpy results).
    The burner I use is just whatever is in my Dell Dimension E520 :)

6. Sportfish

Sportfish

Use your Nero Info tool and see what type of drive it is (Brand) and what Firmware then Google it and and make sure you have the most current firmware for it. Also what type of disks are you using? Personally, if I have something to burn that I want to keep for a long time, I'll never burn over 12X. After the thousands of burns that I've done, this seems to be the best speed for the best quality. Depending on the make of your drvie, you maybe able to to use Nero CD/DVD Speed to scan your disks and get a view of the quality of the burn. Hope this helps.
    Mark

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice