1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Junk in user profile under SBS 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mrwes, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

One user has worked in our office for a about 5 years and her first computer on the domain started creating a folder with her name on our server. It would do it every day, after I deleted it again (I finally just gave up and hid the folder). I couldn't track down what software might be creating the folder, and since the folder was empty... I shrugged it off. I figured when we got her a new computer, the fresh install of Windows / Office etc. would deal with it.

Nope. The new computer does it too. Still, no big deal, and I consider it a secondary problem.

The main problem is that we're using Tasks more in Outlook for managing our workload. Except when we send her a task, she can't do anything with it. She can't even open it, let alone accept it or edit it...

This use has installed a lot of software over the years, and I'm wondering if her Windows profile has some junk in it that we just need to leave behind, and just make a new profile for her and import her e-mail from her old account. Or perhaps I should just delete her Exchange mailbox and recreate it, as was suggested to me by our IT company? If I have to create a new account on the domain and export her e-mail to that account, so be it. So I don't know if the problem is in her domain profile, or her Exchange account.

Any suggestions on this?

TIA.

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi.... I really haven't worked with SBS 2003, but I do work with Exchange & Server 2003 daily.

What type of profile do you have assigned to this user? How is the user setup? Are you using folder redirection? Any special logon scripts being pushed out?

What version of Exchange, as in what updates have been applied? When and how was her account in Exchange created?

What version of Outlook are you using? Updates applied?

The statement "Nope. The new computer does it too" makes me look strongly at her user setup on the server.

I think that's enough questions for starters! Sorry, but there are many possibilities on this one.

3. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

The user's profile is roaming, and there's no redirection. The only logon script pushes out net time from the server. We're using Outlook 2003 SP3, and the Server has Exchange 2003 with all service packs and updates applied, and same applies to the OS at SP2.

Other than timesheets, we've told them to keep their My Documents folders empty so we don't have all that data to sync and backup.

4. pinntech

pinntech

Hi and thanks for the information….

You are using a roaming profile, but are you actually intending to use one? Does this user actually use different desktops and/or all of your users setup this way?

This may or may not be really significant to your issue, but I would think it is going to be a factor for you.

Also, do you have any error messages in related to exchange in the logs? If so, what errors do you have?

As to which account is causing you issues… without any of the information above, I’m going to say it’s a combination of the roaming profile and Exchange. However, let’s wait it out and see.

Please let me know and we’ll move onward.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803983