just a bit of help needed here

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Angie-k

:confused:
My dad bought an emachines pc a few months ago. he brought it home and his mate insisted he installed windows xp profesional on it for him, rather than using home edtion.
After installation, he had to buy a sound card because there was no sound coming from the pc at all.
But the problem that we're having is that the pc has never played a cd, cdrom or dvd. He told me that once he was able to burn from a copy cd, but thats the only time the drive has worked ever.

On inserting a disc, the pc does nothing, and the disc dosnt even register in anyway.

He can play MP3's, Mpeg's etc, but nothing else.

Any help here would be much appreciated because it's pretty annoying. :p

The IDE controller for xp/pro could be different than for xp home, you need to find out what kind of chipset is on the motherboard or better yet find out who made the motherboard, get the model number go to there website and download the chipset and system drivers for xp/pro.

You could go to the website and download all the drivers for what ever os you want to run on there and will fix most of your problems.

The first question I have to ask is did this pc come with XP home preinstalled?
Why did his mate insist on loading XP pro if he had a perfectly working OS?( possibly an illegal copy)
My advice would be if you have the original disc's, backup all important data and restore it back to its original state. You should be able to get a system restore disc from emachines which will restore it back to the state you first bought it, remember you will loose all data!!!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The IDE handling is not any different between the two machines, so that isn't the issue. The chipset drivers for the MB could well be the issue. I have to agree with bigbear, I can't imagine why he felt the need to install XP-Pro in your situation, there was no advantage to be gained.

Angie-k

I said the exact same thing to my dad. It was brand new pc , nothing wrong with it whatso ever. Why mess about with it?

Thanks for all the tips. I shall start trying them out and get back to you.

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online