1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just a few questions on xp home.....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hannah, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hannah

Hannah Thread Starter

Hi I have a few questions ..I just upgraded from 98se to xp home. My first ? is on the Task Manager,in processes,why is the system idle process always at 98-99? My next ? is why do most pages take so long to come up..they were much faster in 98.. Ok my last ? what would make my 'restart' function not work at all....the only thing that happens is a dark blank screen displays with no errors..would that be a motherboard problem?? :confused:

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

System Idle process at 98 or 99% is normal unless a program is actually processing. This indicates that the cpu is basically at rest.

I have no idea about the pages. This could be a system resource issue. To even make a guess, we would need more info, such as what speed the pc is and how much ram it has. I can tell you that XP is more resource hungry than 98. Also, are you talking about browsing web pages?

The dark screen on restart I have not seen with XP.

3. Hannah

Hannah Thread Starter

Hi Brooks Im using a K62-500 cpu with 256 Ram..actually any page..web or just clickin on here to see the next page..somtimes its fast sometimes its slow. Can you tell me what PPSERV EXE and SAVENOW EXE is??They keep processing, Should I do any tweakin in there (Task Manager) if soo what do I tweak and how much?? :eek: :) :confused:

4. Hannah

Hannah Thread Starter

on the restart thing..when I click on Restart everything keeps running,but it seeems it just hangs, the monitor goes blank..it did this with 98 se too.. I cant figure out what is causin this too happen :mad:

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Your cpu and ram are more than adequate, so I doubt that would be the problem. I have a bunch of 400's with 128 running 2000 with IE 6.0 that don't display this problem.

Savenow.exe is spyware. Go over to Lavasoft and download adaware and run it. Whenever you are on the web, it is collecting and sending information back and

That ppserv I have no idea what is.

The restart thing, is probably some program running that is not shutting down properly.

If you want to try a fix that will see if it will work, go here. The only thing is it just dumps them and does not give you a chance to save your work.

http://www.jsiinc.com/suba/tip0000/rh0033.htm

6. prowler351

prowler351

upgrading from 98se to xp has plenty of problems on alot of computers,you should go to the windows update website and download any drivers and critical updates they have there,as far as your cpu screen going blank,you may want to try a lower screen resolution like 800X600 and you may want to lower the color to 16 bit or 24 bit if you currently have it on 32bit.if it still does it try lowering your screen refresh rate to 70mhz.hope this helps you out some.

7. Hannah

Hannah Thread Starter

I did all the updates and the drivers. My settings are at 16 bit and 800x600. I'm having no problems at the moment except that i'm unable to use the "restart" command and the reset button on the cpu. I'll keep looking for answers,and thanx for your help:) :rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice