1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just a few simple questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computernooob, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computernooob

computernooob Thread Starter

Hi everybody, i just wanted to enquire a few thing about my new system. Recently i just bought a new Acer Aspire M9310 Desktop, due to the death of my old Dell. My new pc has the Intel Core i3-540 3.06GHz with intergrated Intel HD Graphics. The first thing i wanted to know is how many cores the Intel Core i3-540 has. Some people tell me its a Dual-core whereas some tell me its a quad, i have no idea and just wanted to know what it is. The second, main question i have is about the upgrading/expansion capabilities of my PC. Now, i have heard many bad thing about the intergrated Intel HD graphics and was wondering if i could install a dedicated Graphics card. I found this webpage on the Acer website about my computer:

http://www.support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2010/acer/aspire/AspireM3910/AspireM3910sp2.shtml

However, im not really sure about what this is telling me. Does this website tell me that these are the maximum hardware capabilities of my PC. So for example, could i change my proccessor to the Intel Core i7-870 processor and a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 gpu? (I'm most-likely not going to do this). However something i am going to do in the near-future is just install a Graphics card, if i can. So could i choose any of the Graphics card on that list on the Acer website, is that how it works? Just wanted to clear a few things up before i do any thing stupid. Help would be greatly appreciated :). Thank you in advance.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Looks like your processor is a dual core.
    The specs say there is one pci express X16 slot for a graphics card
    and the system does seem to be I7 compatable.
    Before you start upgrading anything,though,you will want to look
    into getting a much better power supply.
    The max they supply with that system is 300 watts.
    Pretty weak.
    The geforce gt 320 is just one of the integrated video options they
    offer with that system,and you can't change the integrated video.
    You can add a dedicated card to the pci express X16 slot.

3. computernooob

computernooob Thread Starter

Hi Leroys1000 and thank you for the response. All i really want to do is add a dedicated graphics card could you please tell me what graphics card would fit into the pci express X16 slot? And also if i just only wanted to add a new dedicated graphics card would i need to get a better power supply?

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

There are quite a few pci express X16 graphics cards available.
    Depends on what you want to do with it and your price range.
    Do you want one for gaming or just video playback.
    It would be a good idea just to go ahead and get a better power supply.
    If the power supply doesn't supply enough power,it can damage parts.
    They don't use high quality supplies in most factory built systems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice