1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just a question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ObscureReference, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ObscureReference

ObscureReference Thread Starter

Well, not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've never been quite good at telling apart CPUs, and I am currently planning to buy another laptop. I mean, when I look at them, it's like trying to read Chinese, apart from the obvious brand name.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.80 GHz
    Taking my CPU as an example, what does everything after "(tm)" mean? lol

In short: How do I tell the quality of a CPU?

Thank you all in advance ^^

2. Stamp101

Stamp101

You use google to look up reviews on the processor at hand. In this case it's pretty good. 64-bit dual core processor 2.80Ghz is speed, relatively inexpensive.

3. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    The main thing your looking at when purchasing a CPU is its speed I.E 2.8Ghz and it amount of cores. The more cores the better. A duel core run twice as much as a single core for example however the higher thee amount of cores the more expensive.

4. kris141087

kris141087

Think of multiple cores like having more than one processor inside a single container. Multiple cores allow your computer to do multiple things at once instead of asking a single core to juggle between tasks and slow down your system.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It used to be that clockspeed was the overriding factor; that is NOT the case today. As an example an old Pentium D 940 dual core rated at 3.2gig would seem to be a pretty fast cpu. It is greatly surpassed by modern cpus running at lower clockspeed. This is a function of numerous factors;
    1 Chip design
    2 Available cache ie memory on the chip
    3 Mgf process ie 65, 45, 32, etc

In short clockspeed is still important however overall chip design is MUCH more important in obtaining a given level of performance.

6. ObscureReference

ObscureReference Thread Starter

Okay, a little more literate about the cpu. Thank you everyone :)

7. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice