Just bought a computer with Linux!! How to install programs like Opera?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aewarnick

I downloaded both Opera types for my linux distribution (Linspire):
.tar.gz
.deb

I can't figure out how to install either of them. I had the most luck with .tar.gz. I heard I need to put it in the PATH dir to install it. Here is what I tried:

sh /Opera/install.sh
sh /root/install.sh
sh /bin/Opera/install.sh
sh /usr/Opera/install.sh

with every one, of course I moved the Opera folder to the dir shown. With each try, the terminal window runs the install.sh but always gives errors about finding the other dirs inside the script and the terminal window stops.

What am I doing wrong?
Why does this have to be so difficult??

aewarnick

How can do I get the .deb to install?

I figured the .tar.gz out. In the right click menu I could open the terminal window at the Opera dir and that did the trick.

You might try

tar -xzvf opera*.gz
cd opera-installer
./opera-installer

It works for me with firefox.

aewarnick

I already figured out the tar.gz file. It is the .deb that I don't know what to do with.

I've never used Linspire but it probably has an installer called something like 'linaptic' somewhere in the system tools/programs - which you can use to find and install programs, but if it's DEB based then you can also use apt-get,

apt-get update
apt-get install opera
apt-cache search opera (use this to find opera and put an icon on the desktop)

I guess you could also get Opera's rpm and do the Linspire rpm conversion as described
in this thread.

There was a similar rpm conversion tool I used once or twice for Slack called
tgz2rpm...or something.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online