1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just bought a new heat sink .... ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shebe, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Hi...

This is my first attempt at changing something "major" in my PC, so bear with me plz: After opening the replacement intel socket 487 heatsink and fan I ordered through the mail I noticed there was no "grease" enclosed. When I turned the part over there is a patch of grey (like a strip) over the round copper center of the piece. (There is no writing on it and it's a bit shiny.)

Obviously, I know better then too touch this.... And well, this probably will make me sound like a dunderhead, but I though it best to ask. Is this thermal tape (I've read about) or just something used to protect the copper core?

Also, if this isn't "tape" should I be looking for any particular brand of grease?

Thanks for lending me your know-how. It's appreciated. S

2. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

That's a thermal pad and does the same job as thermal paste without the fuss.
    If I'm not mistaken, some come with a thin plastic protective covering that must be peeled off before installing on the CPU.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, but they're the easiest to answer. :D

Did you mean socket 478, by the way?

3. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Thanks Elf-Stone for the quick reply.

One other question if you please: Would there be "writing" on the thermal pad saying, "Peel this" or should I just try to lift an edge to see there is a film on it?

Thanks again!

Oh yea... You're right it is 478 not 487. (tucking fypos)

4. norton850

norton850

I doubt it will say anything on the protective cover, but the instructions that came with it should mention it if one exists.

5. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Unfortunately, there were no instructions enclosed. (An oversight or intentional??) I guess I'll try too email the company or call 'em if necessary.

Thanks for the assist.

6. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

Who manufactured the heatsink? Is it an Intel or an aftermarket brand?
    You should be able to find detailed instructions on their website. If not, try to lift a corner using the edge of a credit card or a single-edged razor blade (carefully, of course).

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Normally, if the thermal pad has a cover over it the cover will be larger than the thermal pad with something like "Remove before Installation" written on it.

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Should I post my "forgot to remove plastic cover" story? :D

9. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Oh, go on! :p

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice