Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just bought a new heat sink .... ?

894 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MaverickUK 
#1 ·
Hi...

This is my first attempt at changing something "major" in my PC, so bear with me plz: After opening the replacement intel socket 487 heatsink and fan I ordered through the mail I noticed there was no "grease" enclosed. When I turned the part over there is a patch of grey (like a strip) over the round copper center of the piece. (There is no writing on it and it's a bit shiny.)

Obviously, I know better then too touch this.... And well, this probably will make me sound like a dunderhead, but I though it best to ask. Is this thermal tape (I've read about) or just something used to protect the copper core?

Also, if this isn't "tape" should I be looking for any particular brand of grease?

Thanks for lending me your know-how. It's appreciated. S

#2 ·
That's a thermal pad and does the same job as thermal paste without the fuss.
If I'm not mistaken, some come with a thin plastic protective covering that must be peeled off before installing on the CPU.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, but they're the easiest to answer. :D

Did you mean socket 478, by the way?

#3 ·
Thanks Elf-Stone for the quick reply.

One other question if you please: Would there be "writing" on the thermal pad saying, "Peel this" or should I just try to lift an edge to see there is a film on it?

Thanks again!

Oh yea... You're right it is 478 not 487. (tucking fypos)

#6 ·
Who manufactured the heatsink? Is it an Intel or an aftermarket brand?
You should be able to find detailed instructions on their website. If not, try to lift a corner using the edge of a credit card or a single-edged razor blade (carefully, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.