1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just built a computer, turns on but no display!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mitzp, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mitzp

mitzp Thread Starter

2. mt2002

mt2002

That sort of looks like the case I have ;)

Do you ever see the BIOS splash screen?
    Do you have a separate video card or are you using onboard video?
    How is your monitor connected? VGA, DVI, etc..?

3. mitzp

mitzp Thread Starter

I do not see anything. I have the card connected through DVI and i've also tried svideo and I get nothing. I have tried the gfx card in another slot and also left only one stick of ram in. All the components are getting power. While the computer is on the motherboard's 3 leds light up and the led on the gfx card is also on. when its on the fans are running and the case display is on and displaying the correct information so I don't think its a PSU issue.

4. dan_mccartney

dan_mccartney

Could it just be a bad cord on your monitor?

5. mitzp

mitzp Thread Starter

No i've tried several cords/ monitor combo's and no signal on any of them. My motherboard has a digital numerical display that can indicate post error codes. The thing is, no code is displayed. It has two dashes (--) and that is nowhere to be found in the code list of errors.

6. dan_mccartney

dan_mccartney

Well that was my shot in the dark. I have no idea what else it could be.

7. mt2002

mt2002

Take your card out and connect your motherboard to the onboard VGA connector. Let us know what happens.

8. mitzp

mitzp Thread Starter

I wish I could but there isn't any onboard graphics. Only audio, usb, ps2 connections etc....
    I have another computer but its so old that the card is AGP so that can't be used to isolate the gfx card. I'm planning on taking it to a friends tomorrow and trying it out with pci express cards that are tested as working.
    If there is no video with a working card, it is certain that the fault is with the motherboard?

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you get a single beep when you power it up ?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read and followed the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds? If you follow all of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next does the light on the monitor ever change from amber to green?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/727588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice