1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just confused!! Please help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sulaman, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sulaman

Sulaman Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been having problems with my PC, most notably since AVG Free stopped working. Ok, so I tried to download and run some other spyware/virus programs. However the computer kept freezing. It really slowed down a lot and I don’t know why. Then it just wouldn’t boot up, and I have just now successfully repaired windows and activated it aswell. Ok, so before the computer stopped booting, I went in to one of the users, and all the data on the desktop wasn’t there anymore. Where has it been moved exactly? I know it’s still there since the HD still shows the same amount of free space. Also, the main settings for each user seem to have been reset to the default ones, but it seems the data has been transferred somewhere else, does anyone know where the data is transferred to?
    Anyway, now it’s just really slow and I first need to figure out why that is happening and how to fix that, and then I will find a way to locate the data, copy it to a external HD that I am going to buy and use that as a main storage device just in case. But for now, how can I fix the speed and performance of this computer?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

3. Sulaman

Sulaman Thread Starter

Mmm, thanks for the ideas.

I tried AVG Free though, and the new version wouldn't install, so I don't know what to do there. I took off the Internet connection on the new computer, because I'm pretty sure there is some virus/spy ware running when it turns on. I will download Windows Defender and run it on the computer.

What exactly should I clean up using CCleaner??

It's too slow to search for files etc, so I have to repair that before I can look for the files.

4. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

With CC Cleaner all you do is Run Anylise and then Run Cleaner

You might want to get this from Microsoft as well.This might get you past the Install probs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

5. Sulaman

Sulaman Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I was completely over this and I got a guy to fix it for me. I've encountered so many problems and its just gotten worse.

I don't know what he's going to do or how he's going to fix it, but I think I'm going to lose all my data :(

However, at least I wil be able to use the computer, which is all I crae about at the moment. Thanks for you help anyway.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!