1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just curious.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gordon russell, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordon russell

gordon russell Thread Starter

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Today 'Windows Update' informed me of a recommended update outstanding: KB 2966583 which it claimed was 2.5MB, and as I had just put the pc on I thought I would install the update before I did anything else.
    I only had Task Manager open so I downloaded the update and thought "since nothing else is open I will just check and see if it was really 2.5MB."
    It was done and 'successfully installed' within minutes so I checked the 'bytes received' in Task Manager and it was only showing three hundred and odds thousand bytes so I waited a few minutes in case the Task Manager was still to 'catch up'. No, it did not increase so I opened Network and Sharing Centre and clicked on the active connection ( a Wi Fi connection ) and it was roughly showing the same ie three hundred and odd thousand bytes.
    After searching for information online it seems this update, 'Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2966583)'
    may have been an update of previous update bearing the same number.
    Can anyone tell me why I appear not to have received 2.5MB when Microsoft claim it was a 2.5MB update? ( ie is the claimed 2.5MB just a maximum possible depending on previous updates ?)

Call me pernickety if you wish but thanks for reading anyway. :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Windows downloads updates in the background, the update could have already been downloading and just waiting to be installed.

Task Manager doesn't show data transfers for downloads only network utilization for a given time, are you referring to Resource Monitor?

If you want to see if the update downloaded and installed, go to your Windows Update History.

Also, I'll move this thread to Windows 7 instead of General Security since its not a security question.

3. gordon russell

gordon russell Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply Triple6.
    The Update had not been downloaded or should not have been downloaded as I have Windows Updates set to inform me... not that that necessarily guarantees anything.
    I am not sure what you mean by ''data transfers for downloads'' but I assure you that Task Manager>Networking
    which I have set to show 'Bytes Sent' and ''Bytes Received' as well as 'Wireless Network Connection Status' -WNCS )
    both show bytes received when downloading pdf files, software (non-Microsoft) updates, Skype and streaming.
    But as there was yet another Windows Update which I carefully watched and presto magic, neither Task Manager nor the WNCS registered a dicky bird.
    Maybe Microsoft use FTP instead of TCP/IP for Updates, which is a total guess on my part for they could just as easily use 'melty steel/IP' for all I know, but I do know Microsoft Updates are measurable, much to the dismay of a friend who had mobile broadband @ £15 per GB and 0.75GB went towards Windows Update one time I was watching him Update.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You can never trust MS to follow any of the "rules". They are a big company and getting things like file size notification changes approved can be a pain. So often if the actual file turns out to be smaller than expected, the technical people just don't bother.
    If ever you have worked for one of those companies, you will know what I mean.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice