Just done a fresh xp home SP1 install....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I just freshly installed XP home SP1 on my dad's computer, I didn't have the discs so I used my friends. I still used the original product key when installing, everything is fine but there is no network icon in the tray and when I go to setup a connection, nothing is detected. Also like this for the sound, so I am guessing this has to do with not having drivers. Any suggestions on how I would find the right drivers ?

What is the make and model of the computer? If it is a custom built computer download SIW and find out the motherboard make and model.

Look under the Original Drivers, the network adapter needs the LAN drivers, the Audio is there too.
You'll also need the chipset drivers and, probably, the graphics.

Well, i'll need SP2, how would I go about upgrading to SP2 without internet connection ? I know you can download it individually and transfer it over but it says the one you can manually download is for multiple systems or some bullcrap and it's all dramatic saying if it's only one computer, to do it through windows update >.<

aka Brett

Banned
Well, i'll need SP2, how would I go about upgrading to SP2 without internet connection ? I know you can download it individually and transfer it over but it says the one you can manually download is for multiple systems or some bullcrap and it's all dramatic saying if it's only one computer, to do it through windows update >.<
I would put on all the drivers first as advised..the put on the sevice pack.
The servive pack may have some drivers that your install may use....not always good as windows can make an error it is best to get the drivers from the mfg...they will be specific for your setup..next install your service pack..then the remaining updates{fully patch windows before going any further}....install your av...then applications

Edit
Use another pc to download the drivers..then copy to a cd/
Try to avoid a thumbdrive...windows can start installing a wrong driver when you push in the thumb drive especially as old as your version of windows is

All of the drivers require service pack 2.... which is why I was asking...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online