1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just for fun ... BIOS question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluecatrplr, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluecatrplr

bluecatrplr Thread Starter

A while ago, my roommate's 6-year-old laptop stopped working, so she gave it to me to play with. I was able to solder on a new power jack and it worked fine afterwards. I documented the process here, if you're curious.

Several months later, the power jack started to come loose again. This time, I cracked it open and lifted the whole motherboard out of the case and re-soldered the jack from underneath. Much more stable! Unfortunately, when I put the whole thing back together, it gave me the old "Operating system not found" message on boot. Sigh. And the CD-ROM doesn't even open! Double sigh!

Just for fun (the laptop was junk to begin with, anyway) what do you think was damaged in the process of taking apart the box? Bonus points for anyone who can help me get it back into working condition.

A few theories:

- Hard drive was accidentally exposed to my magnetic-tipped screwdriver and I lost my OS (but then why won't the CD-ROM open?)

- I burned through a sensitive part of the motherboard

- BIOS looks for the OS, doesn't find it, and for some reason doesn't look in the CD-ROM.

That's my main question: at what point in the boot process does a computer look for the CD-ROM? Doesn't the computer normally look for a boot disk if it can't find the OS?

Sigh. And I was feeling so smug about my soldering skills, too. I was punished for my hubris :(

PS -- it's a Compaq Presario 1600S, AMD-K6 processor.

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

A magnetic screwdriver don't have the nuts to erase even 1 data point on an in cased hard drive.
    You may have burnt a sensitive part.

I'm guessing that you checked the soldering job you did for solder overflow.
    I'd have to guess that something shorted the IDE connections... the IDE controller went... Or someone forgot to plug the IDE or power connections back into the HD and CD-ROM. ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice