1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just got a laptop and i need to transfer files!!! help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crappytheclo, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crappytheclo

crappytheclo Thread Starter

I just got a laptop and i need to transfer some movies and a lot of gigs of family photos to the laptop. I was thinking it would work like plug-n-play, where i would plug in one end of the ethernet cable i have for my dsl modem, to the laptop and the other end to the desktop, and id have a connection, but that didnt work so i try to setupo a connection but its confusing me because at the end of the wizard it says i need to create a network setup cd (but i can write the network setup cd to a blank cd-RW but only to a floppy and my laptop doesnt have floppy input argh!!!!!!!!!!!) and plus i lost my windows setup cd. Is there a step by step tutorial online or can someone help me with the problem? And i dont want to spend money on a router because i dont need to connect to the net, just to transfer files...

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If one of the computers has an auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) port you can use a patch (straight, regular) ethernet cable. Otherwise you need a cross-over cable to connect two like devices.

Since I can't tell from your post whether you're still trying to get communication between the computers or are into the "workgroup" phase, please do the following. Also, what Operating Systems do you have?

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

3. crappytheclo

Ok, to clarify, I ran the wizard on my desktop to setup a home or office network. It was setup on my desktop but the last step gave me the option to create a network setup cd, use an exsisting network setup cd, use my windows xp cd, or do nothing. The first option could only be written onto a memory card (removable device), or a floppy. Also i dont have my windows xp cd so basically i cant setup the netowork on my laptop.

When i tryed pinging the ips and name of the pcs, it wouldnt work.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I guess that means you have Windows XP on the desktop. What is on the laptop?

Ping failure usually means a firewall is blocking. 3rd party firewalls have to be uninstalled or properly configured for LAN access. XP SP2 firewall should be OK, but earlier version was problematic and should be turned off.

Could also be because of wrong cable, but if the LEDs light OK and XP doesn't complain about "cable unplugged" you're probably OK there.

5. crappytheclo

yea, the desktop says that the connection is disconnected. I have another cable that isnt ethernet but when i plug it into each computer, it says that 1394 modem is connected at 4000mps. something of that sort, but when i tryed the transfer files and settings wizards with this new cable the connection couldnt be detected

Also when i try to ping the ip and name of the other pc, a black box comes up ( i think thats the dos or command prompt) but its blank and after a second it disappears.

6. crappytheclo

ok my dad got a router today and i installed it and i can go on the net wirelessly now. i need to no how to transfer files between pcs. ill start a new topic

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You need not start a new topic or thread. You have stated that you have already set up file and printer sharing on the desktop. If you now have internet access on both PCs through the router, do
    Start - Run - \\IPofDesktop - OK

(where IPofDesktop is the IP address of the Desktop).

After perhaps a minute a Windows Explorer window should open up showing all the shared folders (and printers, if any) on the desktop. Copy away! If not, what's the exact error message.

To make sure you don't have a firewall or other problem, do steps 1 and 2 from my post #2 before doing this.

8. crappytheclo

ok sorry for starting a new thread

heres the situation:
    When i go to my network places on my laptop, and then click the option, "view workgroup computers", a window comes up and it shows me that my laptop is in the workgroup and also the desktop computer. But when i click on the icon that shows desktop on the network, i get an error msg similar to the one below, the only diff is that it begins with "[My desktop name] is not accessibile.......". When i click on the laptop icon in the group window, i get four icons that are printers, printers & fax, shared docs (shared between users on the laptop not on the network), and scheduled tasks. When i go to the same place on my desktop, and error comes up and says,
    "Mshome (which the name of my group between the desktop and laptop) is not accessible. You might no have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."
    Thats exactly what it said. Also when i went on the files and setttings wizard on my laptop and get to the step that i have to choose between a direct cable or a path/folder to transfer the files, i choose path and browse through my network places > groups>mshome> and once i expand the mshome group, i get my latop and my desktop but when i try to expand the desktop, the addition sign just disappears. Here i made a screenshot. http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/crappytheclown/screenshot.jpg

My anylysis of the situation is that my laptop works perfectly but my desktop either isnt configured correctly or its just not possible. let me know if you have any questions because i dont really feel i explained clearly enough, so sorry if its confusing to read.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since most of my previous posts were for your attempted direct cable connection, here are the parts that still apply.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

Ping failure usually means a firewall is blocking. 3rd party firewalls have to be uninstalled or properly configured for LAN access. XP SP2 firewall should be OK, but earlier version was problematic and should be turned off.

10. crappytheclo

ok nvm i found out the problem, i couldnt access my desktop because it was firewalled, i turned off the firewall and now it works perfectly!!!

im extrememly sorry for putting you through all this trouble

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No problem. I only mentioned firewall 3 times and never once did I put in in all upper case. :)

Sometimes it just takes a while to work through all the possible glitches. Enjoy networking.

12. crappytheclo

ok thanks a lot for the help but now my dad wants to know how to print files from the laptop onto the printer conected to the desktop. I tryed adding a new printer in the printers and faxes of my laptop but when i scrolled through the available "printer" our printer wasnt listed. Is this common or did i do something wrong or not do something?

Also I have a scanner connected to my desktop and id like the images to be directly sent to the laptop and not onto the desktop. I think this one is harder or impossible but thans anywyas for any help.

13. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    For printing from the laptop:
    On the desktop computer, go into "Printers & Faxes" settings and make sure that printer sharing is enabled (right click on the printer and select "Sharing ..." to get to the sharing settings screen)

Then go into "Printers & Faxes" settings on the laptop and select "Add a printer". Be sure to click the "A network printer or a printer attached to another computer" choice. Click next and you should then be able to browse, find and connect to the printer on the desktop.

Saving scanned files directly to the laptop should also be possible. Here is the short version of the instructions:

- Create a shared folder on the laptop for saving the scanner output

- On the desktop PC, go to "My Computer ->Tools Menu -> Map Network Drive"

- Select an unused drive letter and then browse the network to find the shared folder.

- Put a checkmark in the "Reconnect at logon" box and then click Finish

- You should then be able to change the scanning software's preferences for the default location for saving files to point to the mapped drive.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/496147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice