1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just got a really wierd email???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Servant of Eru, Sep 17, 2003.

?

Do you know what this is???

1. Nope, not a bloody idea.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yep, I think it's...____________...[Post Reply]

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

It says the sender is [email protected], and the topic is fsegua??? :confused: Not message, no attachment (which I would usually expect from one like this [Hint, hint: Virus!!!]), no picture, no ad, not any sort of content whatsoever??? :confused:

WTF is this piece of BS??? :mad: :confused:

2. Fuzzy Gnome

Fuzzy Gnome

Maybe it's a probe for valid email addresses. The sender could be watching to see whether he gets "recipient OK - message accepted" or "no such account - message rejected"
    Also there might be content that's made to be hard to notice. If there's an invisible IMG link to the spammer's computer he can tell if you've opened the mail.

3. Holly3278

Holly3278

I wouldn't worry too much about that e-mail. It is likely a spam e-mail. And like the last poster (can't remember your user name, sorry) said, it is likely a spam e-mail in which they are trying to verify that your e-mail address is valid. I highly recommend refusing to even open e-mail addresses in which you do not even recognize the e-mail address that it is coming from. Many times there are pictures in the body of the e-mail that when viewed it verifies that your e-mail address is a valid and live one. My opening up such e-mails, you are only encouraging spammers to flood your inbox with more junk mail. But then again, I could be wrong. It might not be junk mail. But that is just my two cents worth.

4. Corrosive

Corrosive

It may be blank to you, but open it up in a text editor and you'll probably find loads of Javascript or a similar language to do something or other.

I occasionally get similar ones to you, but the ones I tend to get are along the lines of "***** Enlargement patch!!!! dekfhhdsahfdsjfajkl." I think the latter part of the subject is unique code to identify the valid emails.

5. starman2002

starman2002

Just delete,not worth the hassle if it contains something nasty.

6. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

Crap, I opened it to see if anything was in it...:(

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I recommend Getting an e-mail screening program such as mailwasher. This looks at all incoming mail right on your mail server. Delete any mail in which you don't recognize the sender or their return address.

I receive a constant flood of spam from Yahoo e-mail accounts in which the subject ends in a series of random letters. I just delete it right off the server with Mailwasher and it never enters my computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!