1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just instaleld ME last night and now sound wont work

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kandy201, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

I just installed windows ME last night and now my sound and voice wont work. I tried to llisten to mp3's in media player it said it was playing but no sound was coming out. SO I thought maybe it is media player. So I went into my yahoo and went to audio setup when I talked into my mic nothing appeared. Then when I went to test sound I heard nothing. Please helP I am so sick of this computer I want to cry.

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Open Device Manager <Rt. click My Computer>Properties(or Winkey+pause will get you to this point also)>Device Manager(tab)>Look for and expland (click +) sound card> Do you have any yellow exclaimation points?? Do you have a sound card installed at all..What type.??

3. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

I have sound as I had sound up until yesterday when I installed ME I took a screen shot of when I clicked on the sound tab as I do not know hat I am talking about so I figure showing you is better. Here is the pic.

[​IMG]

4. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

I remember an issue w/ Crystal sound cards and WindowsME setup not detecting them correctly, but have no idea other than that right now.Ill have to look into it..in the mean time maybe try to---> Control Panel>Add New hardware and see if it pick up any thing different.

5. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

OK I will try that and let you know how it goes. If you find out about the detection thing and how to fix it please let me know cause knowing my luck find new hardware wont work/

6. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

Just did had new hardware and it found nothing.

7. Pacalis

Pacalis

Kandy, just a shot in the dark, but double click on your Volume Control Icon in the bottom right and make sure you are not Muted ??? ;)

8. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Do you have the speaker icon in you systray?? Bottom right of screen
    [​IMG]
    Don't be offended; several times I've asked people about the systray and get responses about 'Quick Lauch' 'Task bar' & everything but systray. As far as the links go I'm still loking for the one I mentioned

9. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

No I dont have the speaker thing in my bar. Not offended as tis is the one rare ocassion that I know what you were talking about LMAO! Anywasy i did go into aounds and audio through the control panel and everything was unmuted except one device so I unmuted it all. I then went to yahoo audio wizard to test and one thing I failed tomention is since last night when I do this my computer hangs. I can move my mouse but nothing is clickable and I can not ctrl-alt-del eventually that damn blue error screen pops up and it lets me ctrl-alt del so after rebooting I went to windows media player and tried playing anmp3 still no sound coming out. OS I don't know.

10. Dingenium

Dingenium

Perhaps your computer manufactuer has an updated driver you can download for your sound card from their website?

11. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

See that would be awesome but myhusbands friend built my computer and I dont even know what type it is.

12. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

On that note..pun intended..I offer you this(these)..----->DRIVERS not absolutely sure which of the 3 available here apply to your card...If you can open the box up you may see the CSxxxx number on the card..if not I'd start w/ the bottom one(it has the most options)..Should be no big deal if one is not right for you; but make sure you have a good restore point B4 u load them anyway.
    P.S. Still looking for that article!!

13. Pacalis

Pacalis

14. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

I went to that site and dowloaded the last link. It was a zipfile. Where do I unzip it to? HELP ME!!

Roach thanks now i know what is in my computer but dont see nada for sound card. I was talking to my husband and he said that actually I had the same problem before when 98 was installed and I had to go online to download a driver. I dont remember how I dont remember where.

15. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Just unzip it to it's own folder; name/location doesn't matter; and run the setup.exe included in the package

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice