1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just instaleld ME last night and now sound wont work

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kandy201, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Kandy,

Here are a couple more things to check on.

Check that sound is 'enabled' in your Internet Properties. Right click on the Internet Explorer icon /desktop and select 'properties' , and then choose 'Advanced'. Scroll down to 'Multimedia' and makes sure that 'play sounds' is checked.

The key to this issue is that you just installed windows Me. Windows Me may be using their WDM drivers which may not be supported by your specific sound card. . .

See what driver is being used:
    Click on start / run / msinfo32 < type that

In the left pane click the +sign for 'Software Environment' , then the + for 'Drivers' , now click 'User Mode Drivers' and look in the right pane under manufactor for something like Creative Technology, Addonics, ESS, Yamaha --- that is going to be the sound card, make a note of that company (other than Microsoft) and the driver listed, that will be the one you want to update or check on,

IF you don't see anything but Microsoft, than it's using the WDM driver and it's not compatible with your sound card, your driver will have to be updated,

Look back in the left pane and open the tree for + 'Components' and then highlight 'Multimedia' , look in the right pane for the name of your 'sound card' and it's drivers, and any error messages ------> use that to help update the drivers,

--------

One more thing to check while still in msinfo32; click on 'Tools' in top menu, then open 'Version Conflict Manager'

Does it list any files related to your sound drivers that were changed on the date you installed ME? You can use that to help locate and restore the original file/driver,

:)

2. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

I unzipped and ran the setup once my computer started it said finding driver forCs4235 Audio but could not find a driver. Now instead of music playing but I cant hear it it says there is no sound card or an error with it. HELP!!!!! Losing my mind and now want to throw out my computer. I have never done a sysytem restore before but I am gonna try that to get my computer back to 5 minutes ago where at least it detected a sound card. Please help me.

3. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

OK SO I did a system restore and I am now back to the music playing but hearing now sound.

4. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Kandy,

Relax, you have your computer working fine you just need some drivers, , and you have a great network of support from Tech Guy,

Don't worry, this will get resolved, just take it one step at a time,

Ok,,you tried to install the WDM drivers, they are the exact drivers that you have on your system now and are not compatible with your sound card, that's my theory, so when you intstall them you'll be back at where you started again,

Take another look at my post, look for some of the information and post that back,

When you get an error message, relax, and then post it for more help, there never as serious as Microsoft makes them out to be,

5. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

Psating your message and writing in my replies so I dont forget to check anything. My answers are in caps so they are easy to find.

Here are a couple more things to check on.

Check that sound is 'enabled' in your Internet Properties. Right click on the Internet Explorer icon /desktop and select 'properties' , and then choose 'Advanced'. Scroll down to 'Multimedia' and makes sure that 'play sounds' is checked. CHECKED!

The key to this issue is that you just installed windows Me. Windows Me may be using their WDM drivers which may not be supported by your specific sound card. . .

See what driver is being used:
    Click on start / run / msinfo32 < type that

In the left pane click the +sign for 'Software Environment' , then the + for 'Drivers' , now click 'User Mode Drivers' and look in the right pane under manufactor for something like Creative Technology, Addonics, ESS, Yamaha --- that is going to be the sound card, make a note of that company (other than Microsoft) and the driver listed, that will be the one you want to update or check on, THERE IS NO PLUS FOR DRIVERS SO I JUST CLICKED DRIVERS AND HERE IS A SCREEN SHOT OF WHAT I GET
    [​IMG]

IF you don't see anything but Microsoft, than it's using the WDM driver and it's not compatible with your sound card, your driver will have to be updated,

Look back in the left pane and open the tree for + 'Components' and then highlight 'Multimedia' , look in the right pane for the name of your 'sound card' and it's drivers, and any error messages ------> use that to help update the drivers,
    HERE IS WHAT I GET WHEN I HIGHLIGHT MULTIMEDIA
    [​IMG]

--------

One more thing to check while still in msinfo32; click on 'Tools' in top menu, then open 'Version Conflict Manager' WHEN I CLICK ON TOOLS THERE IS NO VERISON CONFLICT MANAGER

Does it list any files related to your sound drivers that were changed on the date you installed ME? You can use that to help locate and restore the original file/driver,

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. SCREENSHOTS ARE BECAUSE I SERIOUSLEY DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING OR WHAT TO TELL YOU SO I SHOW YOU INSTEAD.

6. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

And here they are...(We hope) Vxd (non-WDM) driver for Crystal Sound Card 4235----> DRIVERS..Again...I'm hoping that what Starwaves77 and I are both thinking is correct..If the problems truley is drivers (or lack there-of)for a legacy card; this link SHOULD do it..

7. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

Nope still no sound even worse now my media player stops responding when I try to test the sound so I went in to control panel to try hearing sounds for window events and still no sound. Should I do a system restore?

8. starwaves77

starwaves77

Kandy,

just sit tight while we find the drivers ....... I saw the 4235 but they seemed old, a couple years, but it was an obvious option, thanks Jwbirdsong ....

The other thing; I think this Crystal sound card is integrated with the motherboard meaning it might also be enabled in the Bios, so we can check that too,

Don't worry about Windows Media Player, we'll solve that when the right drivers are found ......

If you want to do the 'system restore' go ahead,

9. classylassy

classylassy

I had the same problem after reinstalling ME. Had no sound and no speaker icon in the system tray, the problem seemed to be the drivers, however even installing the correct drivers didnt resolve my problem........so

This is what i did

1st went to windows update and d/l all the updates for windows ME.

2nd Then installed the drivers and Hey Presto sound was enabled!!

I tried many things and somehow after installing the updates it worked,

You never no it may work for u.

Good luck

10. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

Thanks classy. THe first thing I did after installing me was go to windows update.

Starwaves as for BIOS I have already gone in there and did not see anything for sound. And everything there is enabled.

Also I think it is integrated with the motherboard as the whole reason I upgraded to ME was because my USB ports were not working so I got new ones and I had lost my 98 so upgraded to ME before installing the usb. While when my mother in law went in my computer to install the new usb we found that my USB already in there AND the jacks to plug speakers into are saudered (sp?) onto the motherboard and that there is no where to plug in my new usb. She said I am not able to plu in anything as there is no where as my computer is a selerion? She explained it to me as a pentium wanna be and I cant add anything to the computer.

Off to do a restore now.

11. starwaves77

starwaves77

Kandy,

Check the Bios again, look in 'advanced' for 'onboard periphereal resources' , enable sound if found,

---------
    Open 'Msconfig'
    start / run / msconfig,

Click on 'System.ini'

Open the following tree's & confirm the following are checked:

+[boot]
    sound.drv=mmsound.drv

+[drivers]
    wave = mmsystem.dll
    midi = mmsystem.dll
    ----------
    Download Belarc System Info , run the program and try to determine the model of your Crystal Audio sound card or more info on it,

Go to control panel and open 'add new hardware'
    advance to 'no, I want to select from list' ...... click on 'Sound, Video, and Game controllers' .....
    In left find ----> Crystal Semiconductors
    In right find ----> your model

And add it,

12. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

I did what you told me to in msconfig and it is all there. As for the add new hardware on the right there is no option for crystal semiconductor. In Belarc it doesn't give me model numbers or anything. HEre is a pic of what it says under multimedia.

[​IMG]

I will check BIOS again. But i doubt it is there as I looked really closely for sound and or multimedia anything related to sound the last time I looked.

13. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

OK I went and looked in my BIOS and there was nothing for onboard peripheral. How ever I dont know if this means anything at all but I look through the whole BIOS and there is a point where it says installed O/S and windows98/winnt5.o is the option chosen and the other 2 options are win 95 and other. Also the only thing in my BIOS that is disabled is under i/o device confid floppy drive swap. That is the only thing disabled.

14. Kandy201

Kandy201 Thread Starter

Any other ideas to get sound to work?

15. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Kandy,

Here's a site that may help identify your sound cards drivers with a free driver scan of your system Driver Detective

Just click on the free scan and see if it comes up with anything for Crystal,

When you went into 'add new hardware' and said you looked in the right pane, , , you would first look in the 'left' pane and find Crystal Semiconductor, and then in the right pane , you would have the model options, it may produce something useful,

Also, when you go into device manager and look under 'sound/video/game controllers' ------> anything for a sound card, anything at all??

The connecting point for the problem is the 'ME install' , it just didn't install the necessary driver for your sound card,

It would help if you could 'attach' that Belarc log, there might be another path that will help identify the original sound card,

.......if there was nothing for 'onboard periphereal resources' than the card is not integrated,

HERE'S TWO more possible drivers to try:
    CS4281

CS4299

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice