1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just Installed Mandrake

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Mobo007, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mobo007

Mobo007 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

Im a long time windows user i know nothing about linux but thought id give it try! so i installed Linux Mandrake 10.1 and i made a 5gb fat32 partition so i can transfer files from winxp to mandrake but mandrake doesnt see the partition so how do i make it see it?

Liam

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

You have to mount it. Depending on which partition it is, the command will be something like this... (as root) mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt )... then your windows files will be in /mnt.

3. Headrush

Headrush

Go to the Mandrake Control Panel and look for the media section. )Its been a while since I've used Mandrake, it might not be called media, but partitions or something like that.)

Do you see that fat32 partition listed in there? It may be that it is just not auto mounted. In that case you just select the partition and click the auto option. (It should tell you were it is mounted too)

4. Mobo007

Mobo007 Thread Starter

White Skin: Were do i type in the command how do i sighn is as root ive never touched linux before i need step by step sorry im a newbie..

HeadRush: weres the controll panel in mandrake?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!