1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

just installed second HDD and now the rig won't boot to windows Me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by scanner, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

The rig is a HP 8275 pavilion,with WME, and it was running just fine before I did this:... I added a( unformatted with w98se in it from another rig )small 5 gb hdd WD and set to slave , the cable is also connected as a slave,and I rechecked everything before booting ,then I fire it up, and here is what is happening: the boot sequence indicated that all the hardware and the installed hdd as slave and the splash win me come in for a second and the next it ask to boot in a safe mode and when I go for it, it won't go in safe mode, but return to the option for safe mode again, and in I have tried the normal mode and there too ,is the same on and on, it won't boot to windows or safe or normal at all. So I went back and disconnected the added WD drive ,( now the rig is back to the factory hardware set up ) and the same exact problem, the rig is booting to safe mode option, but no safe mode, ps: I have made the win me EBD before I started this. I like this rig altho it's slow, and a Hp, but it has been dependable and with very few quirks, how can I fix this " inconsistency" thanks a billion!

2. IMM

IMM

one possibility is that the primary drive is also a WD and the jumper has to be moved from master only to master with slave.

I don't know if this kind of hp has a tattoo partition or recovery partition which has to remain in sequence - but from a floppy you could try fdisking the second hard drive as extended (don't put a primary partiton on it).

Any chance that the old (new secondary) drive has virus issues?

What mode is it capable of (udma33 or simply pio mode 4)?

Have you been to the bios to see that it's set AUTO for that position? (reset configuration data (or nvram or escd)) while you're there.

They are both on the same cable?

Can you provide the model numbers for both drives?

3. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

I can't fdisk 'cause it's not showing up in dos, and my primary HDD is quantum bigfoot tx8 and the jumper is factory setup to cs and the documents on that settings says that the cs is Master with slave present , now the ds settings is stand alone with master with slave present..

4. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

IMM l forgot to replay to your other questions, the secondary drive is a 5gb WD Caviar,------ and I'm 100% sure that there is no virus in it,----- the drive have a tattoo part, I'm not 100% on this,----- and the drive have been formatted and partitioned last night with a WD utility to fat 32, in other words it has been readied for a os installation------ and I don't think this drive is udma capable,---- and in the bios the drive is set to auto, what will the reset configuration data do if I set it to yes! Thank you for the input IMM :)

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

On the WD drive that you formatted, did you have to install the software overlay?

Will this drive boot if connected as master by itself?

6. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

AcaCandy I don't think so. WD EZ drive. only command . com is installed, so far it is set to receive a OS. But like I said fdisk is not recognizing the drive.

7. ~Candy~

Ok, let's try this, restart the computer and watch as info scrolls by......if EZ drive is installed, you'll see something similar to 'the hard drive is being controlled....blah, blah....to boot to floppy, hit the CTRL key......

And with command.com, it should boot straight to a c: prompt....is this happening?

Also, when you say fdisk isn't recognizing the drive, you are using a boot disk, and at the a: prompt, typing

fdisk
    and press enter?

Really, I think that once you've used the WD setup stuff, you don't have to run fdisk....that software should have had you make your decisions about partitions, etc.

8. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

AcaCandy with both drives connected the wd drive is being recognized just as fixed disk 1 and when I do ebd and at a prompt fdisk it and choose the option 4 it still shows the master quantum drive only

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi-- So, you don't see the fifth option, to display info on the other fixed drive? If you see a 5- that one should display info for the added drive. Seems like you would notice it...must not be being detected right....some drives you have no choice but to enter the cylinder, heads, etc info manually.

10. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

byteman I did it right and it shows the second drive as D ok, I'm not quite familiar with fdisk ...

11. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

scanner- Far as I know, you should need only to install the drive using EZDrive....here is some stuff you can read about this.

http://www.wdc.com/library/eide/index.asp

Scroll down through the headings----there is info on using the drive software, installations, etc.

12. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

byteman I think the important thing here is for me to fix the booting problem with or without the WD drive I've tried everything and still no winMe

13. ~Candy~

Did you try just the problem drive connected by itself? Can you get to a c: prompt with it alone?

14. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

Did you try just the problem drive connected by itself?Yes
    Can you get to a c: prompt with it alone?Yes with the boot disk only

15. ~Candy~

Then it appears that command.com isn't on the hard drive.....what happens if you try this:

boot to the a: prompt with the floppy disk in the drive......then type

copy *.* a:
    and press enter (watch the spacing, after they y and after the last *)

does it say files copied?

If so, remove the floppy disk and try to boot to the c: drive....does it boot to a c: prompt now? If not, do you have the hard drive in the boot order?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice