1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just Installed Ubuntu... some problems

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Katylar, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katylar

Katylar Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a long time Windows User who decided to give Ubuntu a try... however, I have to admit that I know absolutely nothing about linux or how it works.

Anyway, after some trial and error, I've finally installed my Hardy Heron on my Partitioned hard drive (the other partition has Vista Home).

I have some problems.

I have absolutely no sound. I've tried some of the solutions found on the net, but none seem to work.

Also, my Atheros WLAN wifi adapted doesn't work... Is there a good workaround?

Thanks.

2. SilentTim

SilentTim

Do you know what make your soundcard is? It may be that the drivers aren't in Ubuntu by default so you need to install them.

As for your wireless... this opens up a whole kettle of fish. By default, a lot of wireless cards don't have their drivers included in Ubuntu. But don't worry, there is a Linux program called Ndiswrapper which acts as a kind of bridge from Windows drivers to Linux drivers. If you go to 'Applications > Add/Remove' and then install Ndiswrapper and search on the net for Ndiswrapper documentation, this should be a decent start.

Any problems with that then post here and I'll see what I can do to help :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice