1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just installed Vista, USB headset microphone not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darius240z, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darius240z

darius240z Thread Starter

Hello all

I've just installed Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit onto my machine this morning and am encountering a few problems. Right now my biggest problem being my headset is not working properly. It worked fine yesterday when I had XP installed, but since the installation of Vista there's been problems. I can hear out of it just fine, but the microphone does not work at all. I have no idea why....I've checked all the settings and don't see why it isn't working. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you correct it?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Darkicon

Darkicon

A lot of people seem to have problems with Microphones in Vista.

Right click the speaker icon in your taskbar and click on Recording Options and see if Microphone is listed, if it isn't, right click anywhere in Recording Devices and select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices", if microphone is there now, right click on it and click "Set as Default Device".

If it's still not working, double click on it and go to the Levels tab and make sure it's not muted.

Also, just to be safe, if your microphone has an on/off switch on it, make sure it's turned on.

Usually the problem is it's not set as the default device.

3. darius240z

Thanks for your response. I did as you told me, and when I right clicked the microphone, the option "Set as default device" wasn't highlighted, and I could not click that! :(

Any other ideas? I'm starting to lose hope!

4. darius240z

AH! Nevermind! I got it!!!!

:D

Thanks for the help, though!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice