1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just installed xp and already have spyware?!?!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by soul73, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soul73

soul73 Thread Starter

I just built a new machine but am using my old hard drive. When i formatted using the windows xp installer I figured it would wipe everything out. But after I get xp installed I've got download.websearch windows popping up and entries in my start menu ALREADY. I'm also having trouble browsing the web due to this.

Any reason why an infection could survive the format process?

Thx

2. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

Did you take your reformatted system onto the internet without a working firewall and antivirus? If so, you can easily get infected by a drive-by download in that time, not to mention some of the more nasty net worms. Also, did you go to Windows Update and get all of the security updates and fixes for your system? Many of them are designed to save your computer from worms, viruses and other infections.

These days, it takes less than a minute for an unprotected computer to be infected on the internet. Sad but true. When bringing a newly formatted computer up, the cable modem or DSL should be disconnected until you are ready to go online. Before you go online, you should have a working firewall, either a 3rd-party firewall or the Windows Internet Connection Firewall. If you can install an antivirus before going online, you should do that, also. Then you can plug in your internet connection and go online. The first place you should go is to Windows Update and get all security patches and critical updates. Second, you should go to your antivirus vendor and get your AV updated. Third, go to download.com, tucows.com or majorgeeks.com and download and configure Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpyWareBlaster. At that point you should be good to go, but even then you may have gotten something minor.

If you have not yet gone online and still are showing popups, then my guess is that you had infected files in one of your backup media, if you used them. Ad/spyware is very clever at hiding, and you may have backed up some files with an infection enclosed. :eek:

3. soul73

soul73 Thread Starter

Well, I was using a retail win xp cd but the dsl was connected when I first installed :( I just downloaded all of the windows updates and I'm goin g to try and remove and clean with adware, spybot and hijack this right now. Or should I just start over? :(

thanks

4. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

It depends on how bad your system is with the popups. Most spyware infestations can be taken care of with the spyware applications you just named, although unless you are familiar with Hijack This!, you should let one of the experts here on the board advise you as what should go and what should stay. I can't help you there, but there are lots of people here that can. Go ahead and get started with Ad-Aware and Spybot; be sure to update them before running them, however. Remove everything that they find, and see how your system works after that; if needed, you can download Hijack This! and go from there.

5. soul73

soul73 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I've done it a few times but I think I'm needing to go into safe mode to remove some of the files. I'll let ya know how it works out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice